From: Madhu on
Hi,

I'm learning the basics of polarized antennas since I need it in my
wireless channel modeling (MIMO) research. I would appreciate it if
someone could help me understand a few concepts.

1. What do each of the elements in the polarization covariance matrix
represent?
2. What is the relation between XPD and pol cov matrix?
3. What determines the dimensions of the pol cov matrix? Does it depend
on the number of antennas at the transmit or receive end?
4. This question is more EE specific : If I have a spatial correlation
matrix and pol cov matrix, what will be the spatial COVARIANCE matrix?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been grappling with these
concepts for over 10 days now without making much headway. a google web
search doesn't fetch any good results. Pointers to resources where I
can learn about pol cov matrix would be great too.

Thank you,
Madhu

From: Clay on

Madhu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm learning the basics of polarized antennas since I need it in my
> wireless channel modeling (MIMO) research. I would appreciate it if
> someone could help me understand a few concepts.

Hello Madhu,

You may find some of your answers by looking up Stokes Parameters and
the Mueller Calculus. While these were developed for dealing with
light, they are useful for working with any E-M radiation.

Clay

From: Madhu on
> Hello Madhu,
>
> You may find some of your answers by looking up Stokes Parameters and
> the Mueller Calculus. While these were developed for dealing with
> light, they are useful for working with any E-M radiation.
>
> Clay

Thanks Clay. On your suggestion, I read up on Stokes and Mueller
Calculus. I find them too entrenched in Physics and a bit too rigorous.
I'm looking for something a little more high level, that can help me
understand what the elements in the polarization covariance matrix
mean.

Madhu

From: Andy Resnick on
Madhu wrote:

<snip>

> Thanks Clay. On your suggestion, I read up on Stokes and Mueller
> Calculus. I find them too entrenched in Physics and a bit too rigorous.
> I'm looking for something a little more high level, that can help me
> understand what the elements in the polarization covariance matrix
> mean.

Yeesh. Based on your other question:

http://www.dsprelated.com/showmessage/69440/1.php

you have come to the wrong group- first off, your acronyms might as well
be a foreign language. You will get more useful help if you can more
clearly explain what you are trying to do. Ugh... this brings back bad
memories.

I'll give it a shot. First, you asked

1. What do each of the elements in the polarization covariance matrix
represent?
2. What is the relation between XPD and pol cov matrix?
3. What determines the dimensions of the pol cov matrix? Does it depend
on the number of antennas at the transmit or receive end?
4. This question is more EE specific : If I have a spatial correlation
matrix and pol cov matrix, what will be the spatial COVARIANCE matrix?

As for #3- no, the matrices (or sub-blocks) are always 2x2, because
using the Jones formulation for polarization (which is what your model
seems to use), there are 2 orthogonal polarization states, here
(V)ertical and (H)orizontal. So the diagonal elements VV and HH
represent the unscattered signal, while the off-diagonal elements VH and
HV are the cross-talk due to scattering from objects.

#1- From the paper,
"It is advantageous to separate the spatial domains and the polarization
domain (which the SCM indeed allows), as this allows a more compact
representation of the covariance matrix. The spatially separated
elements are identical and will have equal power, thus it is sufficient
to calculate a spatial correlation coefficient. This correlation
coefficient is denoted a at the base station and b at the mobile station.

The full covariance matrix is needed to describe the polarization
domain, as the channel elements will not have equal power due to the
channel XPD and rotations of the antennas. "

Now I (sort of) understand what they are talking about: The covariance
matrix is a 4x4 matrix, and Kronecker multiplication is a block
multiplication. Why this particular formulation for polarization is
used, I have no idea- it has nothing to do with the physics of
polarization. The XPD (cross polarization something) tells you how much
of your H signal ends up in your V channel due to scattering (and
vice-versa), and should be a 2x2 matrix- and it looks like it's in each
2x2 block of the covariance matrix.

The spatial correlation matrices have to do with (I think) the
misorientation of the receiver antenna and transmission antenna.

Good luck.... after reading all this stuff, I'm amazed you guys can make
anything work... and I mean that in a good way.

--
Andrew Resnick, Ph.D.
Department of Physiology and Biophysics
From: Clay on

Madhu wrote:
> > Hello Madhu,
> >
> > You may find some of your answers by looking up Stokes Parameters and
> > the Mueller Calculus. While these were developed for dealing with
> > light, they are useful for working with any E-M radiation.
> >
> > Clay
>
> Thanks Clay. On your suggestion, I read up on Stokes and Mueller
> Calculus. I find them too entrenched in Physics and a bit too rigorous.
> I'm looking for something a little more high level, that can help me
> understand what the elements in the polarization covariance matrix
> mean.
>
> Madhu

Hello Madhu,

I referred you to the Stokes/Mueller method since I assumed you may be
dealing with partialy polarized waves (or made to appear that way after
time averaging).

Jones matrices are much simpler, but then complete polarization is
assumed.

Clay