From: klem kedidelhopper on
This set has a dim vertical bar about 4 inches wide just to the right
of center screen. There is a normal full color picture otherwise but
this "bar" is a bit dimmer than the rest of the screen, and so its
noticible. The strange thing is though depending upon the scene
sometimes you don't notice it at all and at other times it seems quite
prominent. At times you can notice smears of red going through this
area as well. The customer says he did a search on this thing and
seems to think it needs a "capacitor". But then sometimes they tell me
its the switch when it won't turn on too. I looked but found nothing
that really seems to pertain to this problem exectly.
Does anyone have any experience with this problem on this set? Thanks,
Lenny
From: PlainBill47 on
On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 07:12:43 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
<captainvideo462009(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>This set has a dim vertical bar about 4 inches wide just to the right
>of center screen. There is a normal full color picture otherwise but
>this "bar" is a bit dimmer than the rest of the screen, and so its
>noticible. The strange thing is though depending upon the scene
>sometimes you don't notice it at all and at other times it seems quite
>prominent. At times you can notice smears of red going through this
>area as well. The customer says he did a search on this thing and
>seems to think it needs a "capacitor". But then sometimes they tell me
>its the switch when it won't turn on too. I looked but found nothing
>that really seems to pertain to this problem exectly.
>Does anyone have any experience with this problem on this set? Thanks,
>Lenny
Is this a sharply deliniated bar, indicating a problem with columns of
pixels, or do the edges gradually merge into the 'good' area.
A sharp edged column would indicate a problem either with a column
driver in the LCD panel itself (not repairable), or the t-con board
(usually replaceable).

A dimmer column with no sharp edges could indicate a backlight
problem.

As far as the customer's suggestion, while it is unlikely, this
wouldn't be the first time some very strange symptoms resulted from a
marginal capacitor.

PlainBill
From: klem kedidelhopper on
On Jul 6, 2:28 pm, PlainBil...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 07:12:43 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
>
> <captainvideo462...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >This set has a dim vertical bar about 4 inches wide just to the right
> >of center screen. There is a normal full color picture otherwise but
> >this "bar" is a bit dimmer than the rest of the screen, and so its
> >noticible. The strange thing is though depending upon the scene
> >sometimes you don't notice it at all and at other times it seems quite
> >prominent. At times you can notice smears of red going through this
> >area as well. The customer says he did a search on this thing and
> >seems to think it needs a "capacitor". But then sometimes they tell me
> >its the switch when it won't turn on too. I looked but found nothing
> >that really seems to pertain to this problem exectly.
> >Does anyone have any experience with this problem on this set? Thanks,
> >Lenny
>
> Is this a sharply deliniated bar, indicating a problem with columns of
> pixels, or do the edges gradually merge into the 'good' area.
> A sharp edged column would indicate a problem either with a column
> driver in the LCD panel itself (not repairable), or the t-con board
> (usually replaceable).
>
> A dimmer column with no sharp edges could indicate a backlight
> problem.
>
> As far as the customer's suggestion, while it is unlikely, this
> wouldn't be the first time some very strange symptoms resulted from a
> marginal capacitor.
>
> PlainBill

The edges are sharply defined however the "column" is slightly
somewhat dimmer than the rest of the picture. That's what makes it
noticeable I guess. How do you rule out /in a t con board? I did try
cleaning the cable but it made no difference.Thanks, Lenny
From: PlainBill47 on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 05:38:55 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
<captainvideo462009(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Jul 6, 2:28�pm, PlainBil...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>> On Tue, 6 Jul 2010 07:12:43 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
>>
>> <captainvideo462...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >This set has a dim vertical bar about 4 inches wide just to the right
>> >of center screen. There is a normal full color picture otherwise but
>> >this "bar" is a bit dimmer than the rest of the screen, and so its
>> >noticible. The strange thing is though depending upon the scene
>> >sometimes you don't notice it at all and at other times it seems quite
>> >prominent. At times you can notice smears of red going through this
>> >area as well. The customer says he did a search on this thing and
>> >seems to think it needs a "capacitor". But then sometimes they tell me
>> >its the switch when it won't turn on too. I looked but found nothing
>> >that really seems to pertain to this problem exectly.
>> >Does anyone have any experience with this problem on this set? Thanks,
>> >Lenny
>>
>> Is this a sharply deliniated bar, indicating a problem with columns of
>> pixels, or do the edges gradually merge into the 'good' area.
>> A sharp edged column would indicate a problem either with a column
>> driver in the LCD panel itself (not repairable), or the t-con board
>> (usually replaceable).
>>
>> A dimmer column with no sharp edges could indicate a backlight
>> problem.
>>
>> As far as the customer's suggestion, while it is unlikely, this
>> wouldn't be the first time some very strange symptoms resulted from a
>> marginal capacitor.
>>
>> PlainBill
>
>The edges are sharply defined however the "column" is slightly
>somewhat dimmer than the rest of the picture. That's what makes it
>noticeable I guess. How do you rule out /in a t con board? I did try
>cleaning the cable but it made no difference.Thanks, Lenny
The only way to evaluate the t-con board is by replacement with a
known good one. Because of the way the drivers are arranged, this is
most likely due to a bad driver IC.

PlainBill
From: Franc Zabkar on
On Wed, 7 Jul 2010 05:38:55 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
<captainvideo462009(a)gmail.com> put finger to keyboard and composed:

>The edges are sharply defined however the "column" is slightly
>somewhat dimmer than the rest of the picture. That's what makes it
>noticeable I guess. How do you rule out /in a t con board? I did try
>cleaning the cable but it made no difference.Thanks, Lenny

Scope the driver outputs?

Interchange the suspect driver with an another on the same card?

What are the part numbers of the driver ICs? Some ICs can be purchased
separately.

- Franc Zabkar