From: Abba on
Hello,

We are testing the use of Policy management framework and thus my manager
has entrusted me to collect some sample policy ideas which can be
implemented across the SQLServer enterprise. This is apart from the default
policies that MS has shipped. The idea is that each team memver develops a
policy and thus become familiar. I have thought about these :
- no databases are created in C : drive
- no new stored procedures should start with sp_

Does any one else have a list that they follow? If so, can you please share?

TIA,
AbbA

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Abba (sql_help(a)aaa.com) writes:
> We are testing the use of Policy management framework and thus my
> manager has entrusted me to collect some sample policy ideas which can
> be implemented across the SQLServer enterprise. This is apart from the
> default policies that MS has shipped. The idea is that each team memver
> develops a policy and thus become familiar. I have thought about these
> :
> - no databases are created in C : drive
> - no new stored procedures should start with sp_
>
> Does any one else have a list that they follow? If so, can you please
> share?

I don't have a list of policies, but I like to warn you for the option
"On change prevent". There are two problems with this option:

o The real meaning is "On change rollback". That is if you set up a
policy that indexes may not be created during offices hours, such
a policy just make matters worse, because it does not fire until
the index is created and then rolls it back.

o Sometimes PBM decides that the condition is too complex and refuses
to enforce it. Sometimes it will tell when you define the condition.
Sometimes - it will not.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Pages: 1
Prev: Instalation error SQL 2000