From: DavidC on
I do a lot of work in Management Studio connected to a SQL 2008 server from
my workstation. Sometimes I lose connection after accessing fine all day. I
am using Windows 7 and have the latest SQL Server service pack. The message
I get is

"A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a
connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.
Verify that the instance is correct and that SQL Server is configured to
allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could
not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)"

If I reboot my workstation then I can access the server again just fine.
Any ideas on where to look for the solution to this? Thanks.
--
David
From: Erland Sommarskog on
DavidC (dlchase(a)lifetimeinc.com) writes:
> I do a lot of work in Management Studio connected to a SQL 2008 server
> from my workstation. Sometimes I lose connection after accessing fine
> all day. I am using Windows 7 and have the latest SQL Server service
> pack. The message I get is
>
> "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while
> establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was
> not accessible. Verify that the instance is correct and that SQL Server
> is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes
> Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)
> (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)"
>
> If I reboot my workstation then I can access the server again just fine.
> Any ideas on where to look for the solution to this? Thanks.

I would guess that there are problems in the network where you are
working. I also experience this where I'm working. Rebooting is probably
an overkill, try a walk over to the coffee machine next time.

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Pages: 1
Prev: Policies
Next: Copy permissions security groups