From: -jg on
On Apr 22, 3:59 am, John Adair <g...(a)enterpoint.co.uk> wrote:
> We finally made an assembly slot and built the 4 remaining Polmaddie
> CPLD and FPGA boards. These very low cost CPLD and FPGA boards will
> sell to universities and colleges in prices as low as $30-40. One off
> pricing starts at $60-70.
>
> The concept is a bit different to that offered by most development
> board vendors and we have 5 solutions, from 4 different CPLD/FPGA
> vendors, allowing you to evaluate differnt tool flows or even
> different technologies with a common feature set.
>
> More detailshttp://www.enterpoint.co.uk/polmaddie/polmaddie_family.html.

"ActelTM ProASIC3TM (Polmaddie5)."

and the link says
Polmaddie5 :
" Software
ISETM WebpackTM software is a free development tool suite from
XilinxTM for CPLD + FPGA design development. More details
http://www.xilinx.com/products/design_resources/design_tool/index.htm."

oops... ;)

and missing is any mention of which ProASIC3 is fitted - rather an
important detail ?

-jg

From: -jg on
On Apr 22, 3:59 am, John Adair <g...(a)enterpoint.co.uk> wrote:
> We finally made an assembly slot and built the 4 remaining Polmaddie
> CPLD and FPGA boards. These very low cost CPLD and FPGA boards will
> sell to universities and colleges in prices as low as $30-40. One off
> pricing starts at $60-70.
>
> The concept is a bit different to that offered by most development
> board vendors and we have 5 solutions, from 4 different CPLD/FPGA
> vendors, allowing you to evaluate differnt tool flows or even
> different technologies with a common feature set.

A very good idea.

Since you do an EPM3128A and XC2C128, it's surprising to not see the
Atmel ATF1508RE ?
ATF1508RE has more logic than a XC2C128, and lower power than a
EPM3128A.

-jg

From: John Adair on
The Polmaddie4/5 webpages will be improved. Obviously the software
aspect will be different.

We didn't do an Atmel part because mainly because they are almost non-
existant in the educational marketplace. There are a number of other
vendors as well that we didn't do on that basis. Ultimately the first
5 boards are a market test and if there are other things that prove
popular requests then maybe we might do them.

There were also other design critera that knocked many parts out
including (1) TQ144 package to reuse tooling we did for Polmaddie1
(2) A free software tools critera. I do know the Actel Igloo and
SiliconBlue parts got thrown out on the basis of (1) much as they
would be nice parts to try. .

All of these factors were important in delivering what is a very low
cost set of boards.

John Adair
Enterpoint Ltd.