From: Gerry Quinn on
In article <5wCpe.3592$_A5.159(a)newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
phlip_cpp(a)yahoo.com says...

> > > Definitions, in engineering, should be short, useful, and distinct. Long
> > > rambling definitions don't help discussions.
> >
> > In the first sentence, you left out "correct".
>
> Humans make engineering up to solve problems. Incorrect definitions would
> not be useful.

That was, of course, my point.

- Gerry Quinn
From: Daniel Parker on

"Robert C. Martin" <unclebob(a)objectmentor.com> wrote in message

> The bottom line for OO is that it is a technique for managing
> dependencies and reducing coupling; and the primary tool for achieving
> that is polymorphism.

It seems to me that the substantative content of OO is ADT's, the rest is
stories. While ADT's are good things to have, they can be used to reduce
coupling or increase it, remove dependenicies or insert them, so it's hard
to see that as a defining characteristic of anything except "best
practices."

Regards,
Daniel Parker.

From: Phlip on
Gerry Quinn wrote:

> unclebob says...

> > This was cross posted to comp.object, so I'm not sure of the context.
> > Taken on its own, the above statement is less than accurate.
>
> The context was that is was a response to a poster who made the false
> statement (and it was not qualified by context) that "OO is about
> polymorphism".

Good luck, Gerry.

--
Phlip
http://www.c2.com/cgi/wiki?ZeekLand

From: Daniel Parker on

Gerry Quinn wrote:
> In article <5wCpe.3592$_A5.159(a)newssvr19.news.prodigy.com>,
> phlip_cpp(a)yahoo.com says...

> > > In the first sentence, you left out "correct".
> >
> > Humans make engineering up to solve problems. Incorrect definitions would
> > not be useful.
>
> That was, of course, my point.

What does it mean to say that definitions are "incorrect"? Surely the
best that we can hope for is that they are clear and unambiguous.

Regards,
Daniel Parker

From: Chris Dollin on
Daniel Parker wrote:

> What does it mean to say that definitions are "incorrect"?

When the concept they name is supposed to be covered by the
definition, but is not, and to a misleading extent.

For example, consider these pseudo-definitions:

A vegetable is a plant that eats flies.
Paper is thin processed wood for lighting fires.
A telephone is any instrument for contamination.
A capital city is one spelt in upper case, eg LONDON.
A field is a set S plus a function f: S x S -> S.
An automobile is a vehicle with an engine.

--
Chris "electric hedgehog" Dollin
It's called *extreme* programming, not *stupid* programming.