From: topmind on
Daniel keeps insulting me instead of present specific evidence that OO
or poly is "better", and *I* get called a "troll"?

From: Robert C. Martin on
On 10 Jun 2005 01:18:52 -0700, "Rob Thorpe"
<robert.thorpe(a)antenova.com> wrote:

>Phlip wrote:
>> Rob Thorpe wrote:
>>
>> > What you've written above gives a basis for understanding the problem.
>> > But you've missed an important part, to have an object-orientated
>> > program you need data and subroutines connected together in some entity
>> > called an "object" or "class" depending on the terminology.
>>
>> "I can identify Encapsulation and Inheritance as aspects of the 'leverage'
>> term in my definition. They help make fOO integral to a system."
>
>My point is, it is not necessary to have polymorphism, inheritance or
>jump tables to bind code and data into an object. All that is
>necessary is that the two things are presented together.

Granted. However, without polymorphism, I would not consider that OO.
I would consider that to be "Object Based".

-----
Robert C. Martin (Uncle Bob) | email: unclebob(a)objectmentor.com
Object Mentor Inc. | blog: www.butunclebob.com
The Agile Transition Experts | web: www.objectmentor.com
800-338-6716

"The aim of science is not to open the door to infinite wisdom,
but to set a limit to infinite error."
-- Bertolt Brecht, Life of Galileo
From: Robert C. Martin on
On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 10:44:42 +0200, "Dmitry A. Kazakov"
<mailbox(a)dmitry-kazakov.de> wrote:

>On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:13:48 -0500, Robert C. Martin wrote:
>
>> I don't think so. Polymorphism is the ability for an object to
>> respond to a message in a manner that is consistent with it's type.
>
>Isn't it rather strong typing?

OO languages are strongly typed, even if they aren't statically typed.

>Ooch. Can a goal of software design/structuring/etc be "calling functions
>through jump tables"? You belittle OO! (:-))

One cannot belittle something by describing it in detail.

-----

From: topmind on
> Agreed, and you'll find plenty of examples of systems like that in my
> articles and books.

Are there any web-available articles that are not device-drivers or
systems software?

> You will expose it as a useful technique for managing dependencies.

Well, I will agree that for certain things under certain conditions it
will improve dependency management. Almost all paradigms and techniques
have at least a few areas where they do well. But, those areas are
fairly narrow in my opinion.

-T-

From: Leif Roar Moldskred on
"topmind" <topmind(a)technologist.com> writes:

> Are there any web-available articles that are not device-drivers or
> systems software?

Yes, and five seconds with google will locate some for you -- less
time than you spent writing the post asking. In case that's too
cumbersome for you, here:

http://www.ratio.co.uk/white.html
http://www.csc.calpoly.edu/~dbutler/tutorials/winter96/crc_b/
http://www.cs.jcu.edu.au/Subjects/cp3120/2000/Content/UML/BSUML.shtml