From: kj on

According to Wikipedia, the popular explanation for the nickname
"Pons asinorum" given to one of Euclid's theorem is that it was
considered "the first real test ... of the intelligence of the
reader. The Wikipedia also shows a graphic version of Euclid's
proof, by Byrne.

This proof seems to me insanely complex when compared to the
following proof.

Let ABC be an isosceles triangle, with BA = BC. We want to show
that angles BAC and BCA are equal.

Proof: Produce a second triangle C'B'A' by reflecting ABC relative
to the line passing through B and perpendicular to AC (actually,
any line will do). Since BA = BC = B'C' = B'A', and AC = C'A', it
follows that ABC and C'B'A' are congruent. Therefore angles BAC
and B'C'A' are equal. But B'C'A' is just the reflection of BCA.
Therefore angle BAC = angle BCA. QED.

I suppose that the flaw in this proof is that it relies on the fact
that angles and lengths are invariant with respect to reflection,
which may be obvious but had not been proven yet by that point in
Euclid's book. (???)

~K
From: Chip Eastham on
On Aug 6, 4:31 pm, kj <no.em...(a)please.post> wrote:
> According to Wikipedia, the popular explanation for the nickname
> "Pons asinorum" given to one of Euclid's theorem is that it was
> considered "the first real test ... of the intelligence of the
> reader. The Wikipedia also shows a graphic version of Euclid's
> proof, by Byrne.
>
> This proof seems to me insanely complex when compared to the
> following proof.
>
> Let ABC be an isosceles triangle, with BA = BC. We want to show
> that angles BAC and BCA are equal.
>
> Proof: Produce a second triangle C'B'A' by reflecting ABC relative
> to the line passing through B and perpendicular to AC (actually,
> any line will do). Since BA = BC = B'C' = B'A', and AC = C'A', it
> follows that ABC and C'B'A' are congruent. Therefore angles BAC
> and B'C'A' are equal. But B'C'A' is just the reflection of BCA.
> Therefore angle BAC = angle BCA. QED.
>
> I suppose that the flaw in this proof is that it relies on the fact
> that angles and lengths are invariant with respect to reflection,
> which may be obvious but had not been proven yet by that point in
> Euclid's book. (???)
>
> ~K

It's hard to tell whether you are asking about
the meaning of the phrase "pons asinorum" or
for comments on the validity of your(?) proposed
simpler proof. "Pons" here is Latin for bridge,
and Euclid's diagram for the isoceles triangle,
with its equal sides extended beyond the base,
looks something like a bridge.

Certainly the cited proposition (fifth in Book 1
of Euclid) appears with little "machinery" yet
built in the way of prior proofs. Euclidean
axioms provide for the ability of line segments
to be extended indefinitely, but there's no
axiomatic notion of reflecting a triangle in
a line. Your suggestion that the proposed
proof is out of place with respect to the
incremental proof of results in Euclid seems
most apt:

Prop. 1: An equilateral triangle can be
constructed with a given side.

Prop. 2: A line segment ending at point A
can be constructed equal to a given BC.

Prop. 3: Given two unequal line segments,
the greater of these can have a part cut
off that is equal to the lesser of these.

Prop. 4: If two triangles have two pairs
of respective sides equal, and if the
respective angles between those sides are
also equal, the two triangles have all
respective sides and angles equal
(congruence).

regards, chip
From: kj on
In <9b114bbe-0cfb-40a8-95a7-68a11a0df650(a)v41g2000yqv.googlegroups.com> Chip Eastham <hardmath(a)gmail.com> writes:

>On Aug 6, 4:31 pm, kj <no.em...(a)please.post> wrote:
>> According to Wikipedia, the popular explanation for the nickname
>> "Pons asinorum" given to one of Euclid's theorem is that it was
>> considered "the first real test ... of the intelligence of the
>> reader. The Wikipedia also shows a graphic version of Euclid's
>> proof, by Byrne.
>>
>> This proof seems to me insanely complex when compared to the
>> following proof.
>>
>> Let ABC be an isosceles triangle, with BA = BC. We want to show
>> that angles BAC and BCA are equal.
>>
>> Proof: Produce a second triangle C'B'A' by reflecting ABC relative
>> to the line passing through B and perpendicular to AC (actually,
>> any line will do). Since BA = BC = B'C' = B'A', and AC = C'A', it
>> follows that ABC and C'B'A' are congruent. Therefore angles BAC
>> and B'C'A' are equal. But B'C'A' is just the reflection of BCA.
>> Therefore angle BAC = angle BCA. QED.
>>
>> I suppose that the flaw in this proof is that it relies on the fact
>> that angles and lengths are invariant with respect to reflection,
>> which may be obvious but had not been proven yet by that point in
>> Euclid's book. (???)
>>
>> ~K

>It's hard to tell whether you are asking about
>the meaning of the phrase "pons asinorum" or
>for comments on the validity of your(?) proposed
>simpler proof.

Agreed, my question was not very clear. What I was trying to get
at was that if Euclid's proof of the proposition was the "first
real test ... of the intelligence of the reader" it was so only
due to its unnecessary complexity (as it seemed to me), since a
*much* simpler and obvious proof seemed to me possible. Unless,
of course, this simpler proof was wrong somehow, which would in
itself make the complexity of Euclid's proof seem less out-of-place.

But your clarifications explained the situation perfectly. Thanks!

~K
From: bert on
On 6 Aug, 21:31, kj <no.em...(a)please.post> wrote:
> According to Wikipedia, the popular explanation for the nickname
> "Pons asinorum" given to one of Euclid's theorem is that it was
> considered "the first real test ... of the intelligence of the
> reader.  The Wikipedia also shows a graphic version of Euclid's
> proof, by Byrne.
>
> This proof seems to me insanely complex when compared to the
> following proof.
>
> Let ABC be an isosceles triangle, with BA = BC.  We want to show
> that angles BAC and BCA are equal.
>
> Proof: Produce a second triangle C'B'A' by reflecting ABC relative
> to the line passing through B and perpendicular to AC (actually,
> any line will do).  Since BA = BC = B'C' = B'A', and AC = C'A', it
> follows that ABC and C'B'A' are congruent.  Therefore angles BAC
> and B'C'A' are equal.  But B'C'A' is just the reflection of BCA.
> Therefore angle BAC = angle BCA.  QED.

There is an anecdote about a very early
"artificial intelligence" program, set up
to construct geometrical proofs starting
from Euclid's axioms. It crossed this
bridge by proving that the triangle ABC is
congruent to the triangle CBA (by two sides
and their included angle), hence the angles
at A and C are equal.

Euclid seems to have been happy with invariance
under reflection, at least to the extent that
his rules allow an arbitrary triangle to be
proved congruent to its own mirror image.
From: Chip Eastham on
On Aug 7, 7:14 am, bert <bert.hutchi...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> On 6 Aug, 21:31, kj <no.em...(a)please.post> wrote:
>

> > According to Wikipedia, the popular explanation for the nickname
> > "Pons asinorum" given to one of Euclid's theorem is that it was
> > considered "the first real test ... of the intelligence of the
> > reader.  The Wikipedia also shows a graphic version of Euclid's
> > proof, by Byrne.
>
> > This proof seems to me insanely complex when compared to the
> > following proof.
>
> > Let ABC be an isosceles triangle, with BA = BC.  We want to show
> > that angles BAC and BCA are equal.
>
> > Proof: Produce a second triangle C'B'A' by reflecting ABC relative
> > to the line passing through B and perpendicular to AC (actually,
> > any line will do).  Since BA = BC = B'C' = B'A', and AC = C'A', it
> > follows that ABC and C'B'A' are congruent.  Therefore angles BAC
> > and B'C'A' are equal.  But B'C'A' is just the reflection of BCA.
> > Therefore angle BAC = angle BCA.  QED.
>
> There is an anecdote about a very early
> "artificial intelligence" program, set up
> to construct geometrical proofs starting
> from Euclid's axioms.  It crossed this
> bridge by proving that the triangle ABC is
> congruent to the triangle CBA (by two sides
> and their included angle), hence the angles
> at A and C are equal.
>
> Euclid seems to have been happy with invariance
> under reflection, at least to the extent that
> his rules allow an arbitrary triangle to be
> proved congruent to its own mirror image.
> --

A good account of Euclid's proof and analysis
of why there are no "shortcuts" to the result
is here:

http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/java/elements/bookI/propI5.html

In proving the "interior" base angles of the
isoceles triangle are equal, Euclid can and
does make use of SAS congruence (of the
triangle to itself, in essence) just proven
in Prop. 4 of Book I. However Prop. 5 has
a second conclusion, that "exterior" base
angles, the result of extending the equal
sides beyond the base, are also equal. It
"proves" to be a good bit more subtle to
establish.

regards, chip