From: Fritz Wuehler on
"Dave -Turner" <admin(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:

Dave, please be smart and do not respond to google groups posts.

You will eliminate 99% of idiots just with this simple step.

From: Globemaker on
On Jun 29, 12:26 pm, "Dave -Turner" <ad...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
.... you've provided everybody the key and algorithm to decrypt
> it, thus reducing it to a simple time-wasting exercise. Sorry, but it just
> doesn't make sense - the ONLY thing it does is waste peoples time.

It does more than waste time. It gives people a motivation to attempt
to decrypt something with a specific key. When those readers of
Popular Cryptography Magazine search the world for software that will
let them enter a key, they will find that there are few with that
power, and that they may need to pay for the software. Many
cryptographic programs disallow keys to be entered, like TrueCrypt,
AES Crypt, and Adacrypt. Popular Cryptography Magazine is sticking
that in your face.

Also, see the Popular Cryptography Magazine page on random numbers to
imagine the possible uses of posting encrypted files of random numbers
with a standard file size of 8 kilobytes. You do not yet realize the
full power of the random side.
From: adacrypt on
On Jun 30, 11:06 am, Globemaker <alanfolms...(a)cabanova.com> wrote:
> On Jun 29, 12:26 pm, "Dave -Turner" <ad...(a)127.0.0.1> wrote:
> ... you've provided everybody the key and algorithm to decrypt
>
> > it, thus reducing it to a simple time-wasting exercise. Sorry, but it just
> > doesn't make sense - the ONLY thing it does is waste peoples time.
>
> It does more than waste time. It gives people a motivation to attempt
> to decrypt something with a specific key. When those readers of
> Popular Cryptography Magazine search the world for software that will
> let them enter a key, they will find that there are few with that
> power, and that they may need to pay for the software. Many
> cryptographic programs disallow keys to be entered, like TrueCrypt,
> AES Crypt, and Adacrypt. Popular Cryptography Magazine is sticking
> that in your face.
>
> Also, see the Popular Cryptography Magazine page on random numbers to
> imagine the possible uses of posting encrypted files of random numbers
> with a standard file size of 8 kilobytes. You do not yet realize the
> full power of the random side.

Hi,
>You do not yet realize the
>full power of the random side.

I think there are a lot of others that also do not understand what
random really means - they confuse it with a haphazard collection
process that's supposed to carry along some extraordinary inbuilt
intractability that must surely emanate from being haphazrd they
think, when its used later - instead of meaning equal probability of
being the next one to be called in some unbiased retrievable system.

In passing - quite frankly I do not know enough of the wider field of
cryptodom to be able to analyse how destructive claims in posts such
as Dave's can be discredited by the available software, methodology
etc - at present I am following my instincts entirely and justifying
it mathematically as I go along - I have no doubt of the veracity of
my stuff to date - I don't need to collect any baggage that the
current crypto industry throws up - I am convinced it is on the way
out anyway even if it takes a few years - Cheers - adacrypt

From: Tom St Denis on
On Jun 30, 7:12 am, Globemaker <alanfolms...(a)cabanova.com> wrote:
> On Jun 30, 6:39 am, Tom St Denis <t...(a)iahu.ca> wrote:>
>
> > First off, calling a blog a magazine is just stupid.  Magazines are
> > collections of articles published in a periodic fashion as issues
> > collected on a larger period as volumes.  A blog is a place where
> > people vomit their conscious stream of thought and other people read
> > it out of sheer boredom.
>
> Your bitterness is evident.

I'm not bitter, I'm just idiot resistant.

> > Second, calling yours "popular" in the title is about as authentic and
> > original as Fox's "Fair and Balanced" or calling NK "democratic."
>
> Your denunciation is premature.

And your command of language is not inspiring.

> > Third, being able to (assuming) ECB decrypt a file with a zero key is
> > in no way a form of power.  For starters, an application written to do
> > that is totally useless in a real cryptographic application.
>
> That is a lie. Test vectors are published commonly with a zero key so
> people can input the zero key into the software with a known plaintext
> to prove that the known ciphertext results.

Ok, you're right, it's useful for TEST VECTOR PURPOSES. Not for
encrypting messages.

> >  You have
> > no key negotiation
>
> Lies, all lies. The Magazine asks people to send in their writings and
> to define the key themselves. You seem prone to extremist
> exaggerations and absolutism.

So I tell you [and the world] what my key is? And this is a form of
"realistic" key negotiation in your mind?

> > Fourth, I write cryptography for a living.
>
> I want to read the Magazine you write for. Where is it?

I've published two books on the subject.

> "application"?  Do you need to write a new program that specializes in
> the all zeros key? I just double click on the program a bought using
> money called Perfect File Encryption Using AES. I don't throw a temper
> tantrum.

I wouldn't buy a piece of software to do something I could accomplish
with a dozen lines of C. And I wouldn't write those dozen lines to
read your blog.

Tom

From: Globemaker on
On Jun 30, 8:02 pm, David Eather

> I thought you were writing about cryptography not about who you do and
> don't get on with.

Yes, the Popular Cryptography Magazine discusses crypto, but on
sci.crypt I decided to make an exception for this one thread. I
remember when The Saint first posted on sci.crypt in late 1994, he
seems so bright and smart, I am shocked to now read The Saint using
foul language about my new Magazine, rolling in his beer-fueled puke-
speech to insult a Magazine that is one week old. How infantile Tom
"The Saint" Denis seems, perhaps due to the pressures of working at
AMD, Advanced Micro Devices. I also worked at AMD as an engineer, so I
have some sympathy for the aggravation and anxiety that AMD commonly
produces in engineers who once cared about technology.

So, Dave Eather, you are right to chastise me for responding to The
Saint's emotional outburst. I am sorry. I was wrong. I apologise to
The Saint and to all readers of sci.crypt for that. In the future I
will let the infantile temper tantrums pass under my hull, like 2.4
million gallons of oil per day, never expecting to plug it fully.