From: Mani on
First of... can someone please help me??? I have posted more than 3 questions
over 2 months and no one has helped me. Does this website still active??
Ok, here goes the question. I have five differtent Tables (titled: 9th
Grade Courses, 10th Grade Courses, 11th Grade Courses, 12th Grade Courses,
and Rigorous Curriculum). 9th-12th Grade Courses Table are text fields and
Rigorous Curriculum Table is combo box consisted of State Scholars
Initiative, Advanced Placement, IB, and Scholars Curriculum.
Alirght so, this is what I want to happen: I want to select data from the
combo box based on the courses entered in the text fields from the four
tables. . How do we go about doing this?? Please help me??? Thanks in
advance!!
From: Tom van Stiphout on
On Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:41:01 -0700, Mani
<Mani(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

In this particular forum 10-20 questions get answered with 1 - 4
answers. If yours is not among them, here are some guidelines about
asking good questions: http://www.mvps.org/access/netiquette.htm

When I read your current question I'm thinking you have a COMPLETELY
WRONG database design, with tables per course. That in itself might
turn me off in answering the question. But what turns me off more is
that you ask a question without putting yourself in the position of
someone who has never met you and has never seen your application. For
example " I want to select data from the combo box based on the
courses entered in the text fields from the four tables" is a
statement I cannot understand at all. So I move to the next post.

Would it be better to ask your question in your primary language
(.it?) forum?

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

From: John W. Vinson on
wrote:

>First of... can someone please help me??? I have posted more than 3 questions
>over 2 months and no one has helped me. Does this website still active??
>Ok, here goes the question. I have five differtent Tables (titled: 9th
>Grade Courses, 10th Grade Courses, 11th Grade Courses, 12th Grade Courses,
>and Rigorous Curriculum). 9th-12th Grade Courses Table are text fields and
>Rigorous Curriculum Table is combo box consisted of State Scholars
>Initiative, Advanced Placement, IB, and Scholars Curriculum.
>Alirght so, this is what I want to happen: I want to select data from the
>combo box based on the courses entered in the text fields from the four
>tables. . How do we go about doing this?? Please help me??? Thanks in
>advance!!

STOP.

Your database is incorrectly designed.

You should not have multiple tables of courses. You should instead have ONE
table of courses, with a unique CourseID as the primary key, a Grade field,
and other fields about the course.

A field cannot be "a combo box". A combo box is not data; it's a *tool for
displaying data*.

Read up about "normalization" and database design; these resources might help,
particularly the tutorials toward the end:

Jeff Conrad's resources page:
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/resources.html

The Access Web resources page:
http://www.mvps.org/access/resources/index.html

Roger Carlson's tutorials, samples and tips:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/

A free tutorial written by Crystal:
http://allenbrowne.com/casu-22.html

A video how-to series by Crystal:
http://www.YouTube.com/user/LearnAccessByCrystal

MVP Allen Browne's tutorials:
http://allenbrowne.com/links.html#Tutorials

If you would like more help, please post back with a description of your
tables in the form

Tablename
Fieldname - datatype
Fieldname - datatype

and indicate which field (if any) is the Primary Key of each table, and how
(if at all) the tables are related.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
From: mani on
Ok.. thanks for the info you've given me, which made me adjust the design I had earlier. I looked this over and over again, so this is what I came up with and hopefully this will simplify what I have in mind. So I will have a form which will be consisted of text fields that will be added. So now, based on what courses I have in the field, I want to add another field which will be automatically filled based on the courses that were entered in the text fields. I hope this makes sense. Please, can someone help me out??

---
frmsrcurl: http://msgroups.net/microsoft.public.access.forms/Populate-Combo-Box-based-on-multiple-text-fields
From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
This uses List Boxes, but the priciple is the same:

http://accessmvp.com/Arvin/Combo.zip
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com