From: Gabriel Genellina on
En Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:13:17 -0300, Giampaolo Rodola' <gnewsg(a)gmail.com>
escribi�:

> I've started the (hard) process of porting pyftpdlib [1] to Python 3.
> In order to do that I'm working on a separate SVN branch and I plan to
> maintain two different releases of my software, one for 2.x and
> another one for 3.x.

I would not do that. Try to keep a single source (2.x) and use 2to3 to
automatically generate the 3.x version. Perhaps including some
conditionals checking sys.version_info.
Somewhere in the wiki there are porting guidelines. (Try to resist the
temptation to alter the 3.x code: it must remain "generated" by the 2to3
conversion)

> My doubts are about the naming convention I have to use for the
> tarball and how it affects the integration with distutils and
> setuptools.
> Now that I'm going to have two major releases (pyftpdlib-0.5.2 for
> Python 2.x and pyftpdlib-0.5.2 for Python 3.x) how am I supposed to
> deal with that?

If you manage to write the code in a way that 2to3 can convert it to 3.x
without any problems, then you don't have to distribute the 3.x sources at
all. Just run 2to3 on the target system as part of the install process.

--
Gabriel Genellina