From: David C. Ullrich on
On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:41:37 +0000, Angus Rodgers
<angus_prune(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:

>[...]
>You're saying that, in spite of the strange presentation on Gabriel's
>website, and in spite of Jason's many hilarious misconceptions (about
>constant functions not being differentiable, and so on), there is a
>coherent conjecture here that hasn't been settled?
>
>I don't suppose you could save me the effort of deciphering Gabriel's
>handwriting by pointing me to an article where this conjecture has
>been competently formulated, could you?

Suppose that f is differentiable on [0,1] (or differentiable
on (0,1) and continuous on [0,1]). Does it follow that

f(1) - f(0) = lim_N sum_1^N f'(j/N)/N ?

Of course this is clear from the fundamental theorem of calculus
if f' is continuous. It seems unlikely that it's true under the
stated hypotheses, but "seems unlikely" is not quite a counterexample.

(Also it's not entirely clear whether this is exactly Gabriel's
claim, because of confusion over the definition of "derivative";
we've been given several mutually inconsistent definitions,
together with the assertion that we mean the same thing as
usual by f'... The question I was talking about takes the
standard definition of the derivative.)

>Sorry I haven't been paying attention. I wasn't expecting actually
>to have to look at the maths, and I only hope my rusty analysis is
>up to the job. I'd better get that hat and humble pie ready!

************************

David C. Ullrich
From: Jason on
> In fact I don't find your messages annoying, I find them hilarious.
> In case you didn't know, so do a lot of people - every time you
> make a post here it leads to people all over the planet rolling
> on the floor. Honest.

Hate to tell you that *you* are the one being laughed at. :-) Why?
Well, I don't claim to know. That's why I post messages on this board
soliciting information from *those who claim to know*. Now you claim to
know yet not once have you been able to answer any of the questions I
asked you. Your responses are hilarious and non-commital, e.g.

Nope.
Honest. etc.

> I have. The fact that you keep saying I'm wrong doesn't make me
wrong.

You have been wrong two times I am aware of. The rest of your
commitments say nothing so how can you say too much which is wrong?

You are supposed to be a mathematician, no? Well, show me through
mathematics where and why in a detailed explanation how Gabriel's
theorem is wrong. You keep changing your tone! Well, what exactly are
you saying?

> No. The reason is that it was clear long ago that there's no
> possibility anyone will ever convince you that you're wrong
> about more or less everything, so there would be no point to
> an offline "discussion".

Nothing is clear from what you have written. You have a non-comittal
approach and you have made at least two mistakes which you refuse to
admit.

Once again David, you need to admit your mistakes and support your
criticisms. You have not been able to convince me of anything because
you
have not said much that makes sense yet. You pick out some vague topic
and then present an example which is irrelevant. As a mathematician you
would need to show in detail (giving reasons) why a proof is incorrect.
Just remember this is not my work and I am in fact answering questions
which gabriel himself should be answering. I may not be answering
correctly all the time but I am trying...

My occupation is *hobby mathematician*. I openly admit this. You are
supposed to be a professional?!

> I don't believe that anyone has _said_ that his theorem is false
> as stated. But nobody has given a proof of it, and people
> _suspect_ it's false, for example if there does indeed exist
> a non-constant differentiable f such that f'(r) = 0 for all
> rational r, as I suspect, then the theorem's certainly false.

Giggle, giggle. About 90% of the contributors on this forum have said
his theorem is false! Can you *read* ?! Have you understood any of the
posts?
Now I am rolling in laughter.

As for a proof: I attempted a proof and you have not been able to show
me anywhere that this proof is incorrect. I don't know if it is indeed
correct or not. I outlined my concerns which once again you failed to
address. Probably because this is how you teach your classes too: you
simply dismiss questions as irrelevant when you don't have answers or
you are afraid to commit yourself.

So David, if indeed the planet is laughing at me, I am at least
accomplishing some good: laughter is good for the bones!

Here's to the *good health* of all those reading my funny posts!! ha,
ha.
Please continue to read and improve your health! Your bill will be in
the mail soon. What good are you doing?

Dr. Jason Wells. Hee, hee.

From: John Gabbriel on
David C. Ullrich wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:41:37 +0000, Angus Rodgers
> <angus_prune(a)bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
> >[...]
>
> Suppose that f is differentiable on [0,1] (or differentiable
> on (0,1) and continuous on [0,1]). Does it follow that
>
> f(1) - f(0) = lim_N sum_1^N f'(j/N)/N ?
>
> Of course this is clear from the fundamental theorem of calculus
> if f' is continuous. It seems unlikely that it's true under the
> stated hypotheses, but "seems unlikely" is not quite a
counterexample.

This is just the first part of Gabriel's theorem.

Part ii) states the Integral (x to x+w) f'(t)dt = some limit on the
right. We have many counterexamples which show that if f is
differentiable, then f' need not be Riemann (or even Lebesgue)
integrable.

So the theorem as stated is wrong. Part i) might be true, but I am
confident there will be counterexamples to this. I read somewhere that
there are strictly increasing differentiable functions g such that
g'(x) = 0 almost everywhere, (supposedly this is given as Example
2.1.2.1 in B.R. Gelbaum and J M H Olmstead, Theorems and
counterexamples in mathematics, Springer 1990) which leads me to
believe there will be functions such that f(0) < f(1) and f'(r) = 0 for
rational r.

From: John Gabbriel on

Jason wrote:
> Hate to tell you that *you* are the one being laughed at. :-) Why?
> Well, I don't claim to know. That's why I post messages on this board
> soliciting information from *those who claim to know*. Now you claim
> know yet not once have you been able to answer any of the questions I
> asked you. Your responses are hilarious and non-commital, e.g.

OK. Let's start a vote here.

I am laughing at Jason Wells.

Score: Ullrich: 1. Jason: 0.

> You are supposed to be a mathematician, no? Well, show me through
> mathematics where and why in a detailed explanation how Gabriel's
> theorem is wrong. You keep changing your tone! Well, what exactly are
> you saying?

He did not say that the theorem is wrong. He just pointed out that the
proof is wrong. Do you get that, Jason? Or do you think that any attack
on the proof is an attack on the theorem (conjecture/whatever) itself?

> have not said much that makes sense yet. You pick out some vague
topic
> and then present an example which is irrelevant. As a mathematician
you

Just because you cannot understand what he is saying does not make it
irrelevant. And *you* talk about being open minded...

> would need to show in detail (giving reasons) why a proof is
incorrect.

No. It is the responsibility of the theorem 'prover' to come up with
coherent definitions and arguments as to why the theorem is true.

btw, you were given detailed reasons as to why the proof is incorrect.
You chose to ignore them.

> > I don't believe that anyone has _said_ that his theorem is false
> > as stated. But nobody has given a proof of it, and people
> > _suspect_ it's false, for example if there does indeed exist
> > a non-constant differentiable f such that f'(r) = 0 for all
> > rational r, as I suspect, then the theorem's certainly false.
>
> Giggle, giggle. About 90% of the contributors on this forum have said
> his theorem is false! Can you *read* ?! Have you understood any of
the
> posts?

The theorem as stated is false! As I can see on the webpage, there are
three parts to the theorem and part ii is clearly false. I think David
is talking about part i.

> Now I am rolling in laughter.

Me too, but at you.

> As for a proof: I attempted a proof and you have not been able to
show
> me anywhere that this proof is incorrect.

He has. Read carefully and try to understand this time.

> Dr. Jason Wells. Hee, hee.

I see you are getting better :-)

From: Jason on
You are an imposter! As promised I will be reporting you!

What a coward you are! Too afraid to post anything under your real
name?

John Gabbriel wrote:
> [...]
> > > rational r, as I suspect, then the theorem's certainly false.
> >
> > Giggle, giggle. About 90% of the contributors on this forum have
said
> > his theorem is false! Can you *read* ?! Have you understood any of
> the
> > posts?
>
> The theorem as stated is false! As I can see on the webpage, there
are
> three parts to the theorem and part ii is clearly false. I think
David
> is talking about part i.
>

> > Now I am rolling in laughter.
>
> Me too, but at you.
>

> > As for a proof: I attempted a proof and you have not been able to
> show
> > me anywhere that this proof is incorrect.
>
> He has. Read carefully and try to understand this time.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Contractible metric space
Next: Notation question