From: me on
I can get a really good deal on Optiplex 780 here at
the engineering university I attend.

However, besides doing school work on it, would also
like the 780 to act as home theater PC. As such it
would be nice to have HDMI output on it.

Will I need a whole new video and sound card with HDMI
port..... or is it just a matter of installing a card
with HDMI port only? Dumb question I know... but not
clear on what will need done.
From: Tom Scales on

ATI cards include sound. I don't believe all the nVidia cards do. I
have an ATI 4xxx (lower end, don't remember which one) and it does
1080p, including HDCP and BluRay very well.

Depending on the model, it may have an HDMI port integrated. If so, it
likely WILL include sound.

Tom

From: Pen on
On 2/15/2010 5:06 PM, me(a)privacy.net wrote:
> I can get a really good deal on Optiplex 780 here at
> the engineering university I attend.
>
> However, besides doing school work on it, would also
> like the 780 to act as home theater PC. As such it
> would be nice to have HDMI output on it.
>
> Will I need a whole new video and sound card with HDMI
> port..... or is it just a matter of installing a card
> with HDMI port only? Dumb question I know... but not
> clear on what will need done.
The 780 has a "DVI Card" available at purchase time for $10.
Then a DVI to HDMI cable completes the job.
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=04&kc=6W300&l=en&oc=bo1shdc&s=bsd
From: WSZsr on
But does the DVI port pass sound? Better to get an inexpensive ATI 4xxx
series with and HDMI port

From: me on
"WSZsr" <nospam(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>But does the DVI port pass sound? Better to get an inexpensive ATI 4xxx
>series with and HDMI port

that's what I'm thinking too....that dvi wont pass
audio
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Defrag program