From: nospam on
Is Microsoft sticking to their plan that SP3 will be the last service pack
for XP? We're up to nearly 100 post-SP3 critical or important patches
since May 2008.

If they're not willing to qualify another service pack, they should at least
come up with an unsupported rollup of these updates.

From: smlunatick on
On Sep 11, 7:52 am, "nos...(a)nospam.invalid.net" <nos...(a)invalid.net>
wrote:
> Is Microsoft sticking to their plan that SP3 will be the last service pack
> for XP?  We're up to nearly 100 post-SP3 critical or important patches
> since May 2008.
>
> If they're not willing to qualify another service pack, they should at least
> come up with an unsupported rollup of these updates.

With Windows 7 to be released to general sales soon (October) I do not
believe MS will.

However, they SHOULD as it appears that MS has completely ignored
Vista when permitting Windows 7 Business / Ultimate. It seems that
you can only downgrade to XP.
From: nospam on
wrote:
> Is Microsoft sticking to their plan that SP3 will be the last service pack
> for XP? We're up to nearly 100 post-SP3 critical or important patches
> since May 2008.
>
> If they're not willing to qualify another service pack, they should at least
> come up with an unsupported rollup of these updates.

With Windows 7 to be released to general sales soon (October) I do not
believe MS will.

However, they SHOULD as it appears that MS has completely ignored
Vista when permitting Windows 7 Business / Ultimate. It seems that
you can only downgrade to XP.

**

That's because Vista was never intended as a business/sever OS.

From: smlunatick on
On Sep 11, 8:38 pm, "nos...(a)nospam.invalid.net" <nos...(a)invalid.net>
wrote:
> "smlunatick" <yves...(a)gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:ca0a8345-b357-434b-8967-ca761822ce6d(a)h13g2000yqk.googlegroups.com...
>
> On Sep 11, 7:52 am, "nos...(a)nospam.invalid.net" <nos...(a)invalid.net>
> wrote:
>
> > Is Microsoft sticking to their plan that SP3 will be the last service pack
> > for XP? We're up to nearly 100 post-SP3 critical or important patches
> > since May 2008.
>
> > If they're not willing to qualify another service pack, they should at least
> > come up with an unsupported rollup of these updates.
>
> With Windows 7 to be released to general sales soon (October) I do not
> believe MS will.
>
> However, they SHOULD as it appears that MS has completely ignored
> Vista when permitting Windows 7 Business / Ultimate.  It seems that
> you can only downgrade to XP.
>
> **
>
> That's because Vista was never intended as a business/sever OS.

Vista Business is "geared" to Business users

And XP, Vista and Windows 7 were / are not "server" grade Windows.
Windows 2000 Server and Windows Server 2003 / 2008 are the "server"
rated versions.
From: Shenan Stanley on
nospam(a)nospam.invalid.net wrote:
> Is Microsoft sticking to their plan that SP3 will be the last
> service pack for XP? We're up to nearly 100 post-SP3 critical or
> important patches since May 2008.
>
> If they're not willing to qualify another service pack, they should
> at least come up with an unsupported rollup of these updates.

You mean like the did with Windows 2000?

Likely will happen - although 100 since SP3 - I think that number is 30-40
(at least) high.

In any case- if you integrate the patches (as many as you can) into the
installation media/use a WSUS server/use imaging in combination with those -
it's not that big of a deal - never has been. When you consider the over
1000 patches included in Windows XP SP3 - not including SP1a+SP2 inclusion -
60-100... Not that much. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP