From: Daniel Gomes on
Hey group,

I am having some problems with virtual aliases that are fetched from a
LDAP server with STARTTLS. Unfortunately, the error logs in this case
don't seem to be very helpful, as all I can see is:

postfix/master[1043]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid 1790
killed by signal 6
postfix/master[1043]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd: bad command
startup -- throttling

I've tried several loglevels and the "-v" switch on smtpd's line in
master.cf, and although a lot more information is produced this way,
there's not a clearer error message. On the slapd server, by the way,
the only message I can see is "TLS negotiation failure" (I didn't try
higher loglevels as the error seems to be on the clientside).

Funny thing is, running "postmap -q xpto@*****
ldap:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias_maps_ldap.cf" returns the correct value
without a problem... So it really seems like a postfix problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
--
Daniel Gomes (SysAdmin)
dgomes(a)ipfn.ist.utl.pt

Instituto de Plasmas e usão Nuclear
Instituto Superior Técnico - UTL
Av. Rovisco Pais - 1049-001 Lisboa - Portugal

From: Victor Duchovni on
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 01:16:03PM +0000, Daniel Gomes wrote:

> postfix/master[1043]: warning: process /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd pid 1790
> killed by signal 6
> postfix/master[1043]: warning: /usr/lib/postfix/smtpd: bad command
> startup -- throttling

Is smtpd running in a chroot jail?

Is OpenLDAP linked against GnuTLS, while Postfix smtpd is using OpenSSL?
Perhaps there are API conflicts between OpenSSL and GnuTLS...

Post "ldd" output for your "smtpd".

> Funny thing is, running "postmap -q xpto@*****
> ldap:/etc/postfix/virtual_alias_maps_ldap.cf" returns the correct value
> without a problem... So it really seems like a postfix problem.

Do you run "postmap" as root? Or an unprivileged user (e.g. Postfix)?

If you can't reproduce the problem with "postmap", you'll need to figure
out how to get a core file from smtpd, and post a backtrace.

--
Viktor.