From: Stan Hoeppner on
Mark Scholten put forth on 8/7/2010 8:19 AM:

> As long as it is with a reputable provider there should be no problem to use
> them for SMTP mail.

I estimate 90%+ of all the VPS providers are in the "disreputable" category
WRT SMTP spam, most due to negligence, not evil. There are are a few dozen
VPS providers (in the US anyway) who cater specifically to spammers.

The percentage of "reputable VPS providers" is likely in the single digits,
especially now that registrars such as GoDaddy and others now offer VPS. They
don't vet customers at all. GoDaddy VPS IP space is now SMTP block-on-site
for many sites. Has been here for quite some time.

For receivers, the "smart money" says block all VPS SMTP, whitelist when
necessary.

--
Stan

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Jonathan Tripathy put forth on 8/7/2010 4:03 PM:

> I guess my question is a little more general than this topic: do
> providers ever block *who* mail is sent to?

You probably need to be much more specific, detailed, with this question.

--
Stan

From: Jonathan Tripathy on

On 08/08/10 01:33, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Jonathan Tripathy put forth on 8/7/2010 4:03 PM:
>

>> I guess my question is a little more general than this topic: do
>> providers ever block *who* mail is sent to?
>>
> You probably need to be much more specific, detailed, with this question.

For example, if I used a VPS postfix server as my incoming server (i.e.
mx server), would that be any problem?

From: Stan Hoeppner on
Jonathan Tripathy put forth on 8/7/2010 7:32 PM:

> On 08/08/10 01:33, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> Jonathan Tripathy put forth on 8/7/2010 4:03 PM:
>>

>>> I guess my question is a little more general than this topic: do
>>> providers ever block *who* mail is sent to?
>>>
>> You probably need to be much more specific, detailed, with this question.

> For example, if I used a VPS postfix server as my incoming server (i.e.
> mx server), would that be any problem?

That's still vague, and a very odd question. Make your full argument instead
of attempting to set a "trap" question, hoping someone stupid will step in it.

Get to your full point, quickly, and directly. Game playing is for the
political arena, not he technical arena.

--
Stan

From: ABPNI on

On 8 Aug 2010, at 03:22, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Jonathan Tripathy put forth on 8/7/2010 7:32 PM:
>>
>> On 08/08/10 01:33, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> Jonathan Tripathy put forth on 8/7/2010 4:03 PM:

>>> You probably need to be much more specific, detailed, with this
>>> question.
>
>> For example, if I used a VPS postfix server as my incoming server
>> (i.e.
>> mx server), would that be any problem?
>
> That's still vague, and a very odd question. Make your full
> argument instead
> of attempting to set a "trap" question, hoping someone stupid will
> step in it.
>
> Get to your full point, quickly, and directly. Game playing is for
> the
> political arena, not he technical arena.
>
> --
> Stan

Why are you accusing me of game playing? I'm asking a genuine
question. Myself, like the OP, is considering deploying Pistfix in
cloud based environments, and I'm just assesing the risks.