From: Harold Aptroot on
I tried to post to CLAX but got a "Recipient names must be specified"
Huh?

What can I do about it?

-- harold
From: Frank Kotler on
Harold Aptroot wrote:
> I tried to post to CLAX but got a "Recipient names must be specified"
> Huh?
>
> What can I do about it?

Hi Harold,

That's a new one to me. Can you tell where this message is originating?

I think about all you can do at this point is "try, try again". I
thought we had everything straightened out and ready to go, but
apparently we still have "issues". There are several messages currently
awaiting posting, but I don't see one from you.

My apologies for screwin' this up - we'll get it fixed as soon as we can
(if we can!).

Best,
Frank
From: Harold Aptroot on
Frank Kotler wrote:
> Harold Aptroot wrote:
>> I tried to post to CLAX but got a "Recipient names must be specified"
>> Huh?
>>
>> What can I do about it?
>
> Hi Harold,
>
> That's a new one to me. Can you tell where this message is originating?
>
> I think about all you can do at this point is "try, try again". I
> thought we had everything straightened out and ready to go, but
> apparently we still have "issues". There are several messages currently
> awaiting posting, but I don't see one from you.
>
> My apologies for screwin' this up - we'll get it fixed as soon as we can
> (if we can!).
>
> Best,
> Frank

I wiresharked the entire conversation:

ISP> 200 cache120 NNTPSwitch-0.12-ziggo-alk-2009-11-04, 68379 groups
available, posting allowed, slot 53, connections 1
From: Harold Aptroot <hxxxxx.aptroot.(a)nospamgmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86
Subject: Re: Instruction placement
ISP> Recipient names must be specified
ISP> 441 Couldn't mail your post to the moderator, please try again

I've tried it about a dozen times now.. :(
My stupid ISP is stupid, so it's probably their fault, but I'd like to
be sure before I bother them about it

-- harold
From: Frank Kotler on
Harold Aptroot wrote:

> I wiresharked the entire conversation:

I don't know "wireshark" from Adam's off ox. I'll have to look into it -
looks like it might be very useful... in these trying times.

> ISP> 200 cache120 NNTPSwitch-0.12-ziggo-alk-2009-11-04, 68379 groups
> available, posting allowed, slot 53, connections 1
> ME> MODE READER
> ISP> 480 Authentication Required
> ME> AUTHINFO user *****@casema.nl
> ISP> 381 More Authentication Required
> ME> AUTHINFO pass *****
> ISP> 281 Authentication Accepted, unlimited bytes remaining
> ME> MODE READER
> ISP> 200 Sure!
> ME> GROUP comp.lang.asm.x86
> ISP> 211 740 156011 157025 comp.lang.asm.x86
> ME> POST
> ISP> 340 Try Me!
> ME> Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 21:53:51 +0100
> From: Harold Aptroot <hxxxxx.aptroot.(a)nospamgmail.com>
> Newsgroups: comp.lang.asm.x86
> Subject: Re: Instruction placement
> ISP> Recipient names must be specified
> ISP> 441 Couldn't mail your post to the moderator, please try again
>
> I've tried it about a dozen times now.. :(
> My stupid ISP is stupid, so it's probably their fault, but I'd like to
> be sure before I bother them about it

When I talk to an nntp server, posting an "unapproved" message, it tells
me that it has been mailed to the moderator, so I think it's "your ISP's
fault"... but we could have screwed something up, too.

Shouldn't be. Herbert posted a concern about all the nntp servers
getting the new moderation address. That isn't the way it works... or
not the way *I* understand it works. The servers should be sending any
post to a moderated group to... replace dots in group name with
underscores...

comp_lang_asm_x86(a)moderators.isc.org

This "isc.org", if you look 'em up, are the folks who wrote/maintain
"INN", the nntp server almost everyone uses. They, in turn, mail your
message to... well, Nathan, right now...

clax-submit(a)inspiretomorrow.net

AFAIK, messages are arriving there okay... but not from your ISP. The
gist of the "if you're having trouble posting" message (we used to see,
and will again, hopefully) is to mail your post to one or both of those
addresses. In "most cases" this "shouldn't be necessary"... but at one
time I had to cc messages to Chuck's "clax-submit at crayne.org" to get
'em posted. If the message doesn't get from the nntp server to isc.org
and from there to the submission address, there's nothing the moderator
can do about it, of course. So sending (or cc'ing... we'll probably
double-post, we're so screwed up at the moment... won't hurt... we'll
get it sorted out eventually) to the clax-submit(a)inspiretomorrow.net
address is the most "direct" way.

However, we *are* getting messages that are "posted as usual" as far as
that address in "most cases". The current bottleneck is getting them
re-posted with a moderator approval. We're "working on it", but to be
honest, we're flailing around right now. Soon, I hope...

Thanks for the info!

Best,
Frank
From: Harold Aptroot on
"Frank Kotler" <fbkotler(a)myfairpoint.net> wrote in message
> Harold Aptroot wrote:
>> I've tried it about a dozen times now.. :(
>> My stupid ISP is stupid, so it's probably their fault, but I'd like to be
>> sure before I bother them about it
>
> When I talk to an nntp server, posting an "unapproved" message, it tells
> me that it has been mailed to the moderator, so I think it's "your ISP's
> fault"... but we could have screwed something up, too.
>
> Shouldn't be. Herbert posted a concern about all the nntp servers getting
> the new moderation address. That isn't the way it works... or not the way
> *I* understand it works. The servers should be sending any post to a
> moderated group to... replace dots in group name with underscores...
>
> comp_lang_asm_x86(a)moderators.isc.org
>
> This "isc.org", if you look 'em up, are the folks who wrote/maintain
> "INN", the nntp server almost everyone uses. They, in turn, mail your
> message to... well, Nathan, right now...
>
> clax-submit(a)inspiretomorrow.net
>
> AFAIK, messages are arriving there okay... but not from your ISP. The gist
> of the "if you're having trouble posting" message (we used to see, and
> will again, hopefully) is to mail your post to one or both of those
> addresses. In "most cases" this "shouldn't be necessary"... but at one
> time I had to cc messages to Chuck's "clax-submit at crayne.org" to get
> 'em posted. If the message doesn't get from the nntp server to isc.org and
> from there to the submission address, there's nothing the moderator can do
> about it, of course. So sending (or cc'ing... we'll probably double-post,
> we're so screwed up at the moment... won't hurt... we'll get it sorted out
> eventually) to the clax-submit(a)inspiretomorrow.net address is the most
> "direct" way.
>
> However, we *are* getting messages that are "posted as usual" as far as
> that address in "most cases". The current bottleneck is getting them
> re-posted with a moderator approval. We're "working on it", but to be
> honest, we're flailing around right now. Soon, I hope...
>
> Thanks for the info!
>
> Best,
> Frank

Well I called my ISP and they told me they don't support usenet at all. Just
great, offering a (broken) service and not suporting it.

I guess I'll just mail my posts manually..

-- harold