From: Mr John FO Evans on
In article <i2t3ig$irf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Tim Okergit
<to(a)notme.com> wrote:
> > I've noticed (at least on my Samsung printer, for which I have both
> > Postscript and PCL "instances") that print job file sizes are much,
> > much smaller for Postscript than PCL.

Postscript uses vector rather than the bitmap representation used in PCL
wherever possible - also many Postscript printers can accept jpegs directly.

Vector representation is rather like a Drawfile (eg Corel Draw) and bitmap
like a Sprite or BMP and jpegs are smaller than simple bitmaps. Hence
Postscript print job files are almost always smaller than PCL.

An exception might be with PCL 6 which has vector capability but as far ss
I know is not used by RISCOS.

John

--
_ _________________________________________
/ \._._ |_ _ _ /' Orpheus Internet Services

From: Tim Okergit on
On 07/30/2010 09:02 AM, Mr John FO Evans wrote:
> In article<i2t3ig$irf$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>, Tim Okergit
> <to(a)notme.com> wrote:
>>> I've noticed (at least on my Samsung printer, for which I have both
>>> Postscript and PCL "instances") that print job file sizes are much,
>>> much smaller for Postscript than PCL.
>
> Postscript uses vector rather than the bitmap representation used in PCL
> wherever possible - also many Postscript printers can accept jpegs directly.
>
> Vector representation is rather like a Drawfile (eg Corel Draw) and bitmap
> like a Sprite or BMP and jpegs are smaller than simple bitmaps. Hence
> Postscript print job files are almost always smaller than PCL.

Interesting, but not significant nonetheless since I have ample space
for spooling. Tell me, how can I see the size of a PCL print file on
Linux? Is there any way to stop the print file from being sent to the
printer and kept for further use?

> An exception might be with PCL 6 which has vector capability but as far ss
> I know is not used by RISCOS.

Not too many people run RISKOS...