From: Ben Myers on
On 7/21/2010 6:20 AM, RnR wrote:
> Does anyone have the original power adapter (inverter) for this model
> Dell and can tell me what the power adapter model number is? I'm
> guessing like a PA-12 or PA-13 but that's pure guess no basis of fact.
> Thanks.

Use the Dell service tag to look up the original configuration of your
Inspiron E1420. Find the part number of the power adapter, then google it.

The 130w PA-13 is a big honking brick. My guess is that the E1420 is
too modern for the PA-13, which was shipped with older Inspiron 5150,
5160, and 9100 units (among others), which had high-wattage true Socket
478 CPUs. Not the real mobile CPUs, but CPUs cobbled by Intel to use
Speedstep and a lower speed when run on battery.

But the PA-13 may work with the E1420. The PA-12 produces 70w max.

I keep a PA-13 around for testing, because it works fine with most
modern Dell laptops, i.e. those that do not use a power adapter with the
older "chicken head" connector... Ben Myers