From: Don Pedro on
Hi all,

We have 2 CAS servers we need to shut down for the weekend. When I shut them
down, activesync stops working. Neither of these CAS servers are the internet
facing one.

CAS01 - internet facing one. Configured with internal and external URL.

CAS02 and CAS03 configured only with internal URL.

When CAS02 and CAS03 are shut down, activesync stops working and the
following event is logged on CAS01

"The proxy request to CAS02.contoso.com has timed out"

When I power back up the 2 CAS servers, mail starts to sync again.

Now I know this is due to proxying on CAS01. How do I tell CAS01 to not
proxy while these servers are down?

Hope this is clear.

thanks in advance
From: Rich Matheisen [MVP] on
On Fri, 4 Jun 2010 09:22:03 -0700, Don Pedro
<DonPedro(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>We have 2 CAS servers we need to shut down for the weekend. When I shut them
>down, activesync stops working. Neither of these CAS servers are the internet
>facing one.
>
>CAS01 - internet facing one. Configured with internal and external URL.
>
>CAS02 and CAS03 configured only with internal URL.
>
>When CAS02 and CAS03 are shut down, activesync stops working and the
>following event is logged on CAS01
>
>"The proxy request to CAS02.contoso.com has timed out"
>
>When I power back up the 2 CAS servers, mail starts to sync again.
>
>Now I know this is due to proxying on CAS01. How do I tell CAS01 to not
>proxy while these servers are down?

Are CAS01 and the other two servers in the same AD site? CAS01 will
only talk to a mailbox server in the same AD site, otherwise it will
either redirect the request (if the other site has an external url) or
proxy it to another CAS in the same AD site as the mailbox server(s).
---
Rich Matheisen
MCSE+I, Exchange MVP