From: Ron on
On 16 May, 22:34, Ron <ro...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> I went away for all of last week and shut down my pc in the usual way
> and also switched of the power at the mains  as well. On my return
> when I switched it back on, it starts up as soon as I turn the mains
> on at the wall socket. The power pack starts, the fans on the power
> pack, cpu and motherboard run, the keyboard and mouse light up, the
> dvd/cd drives light up but it  does nothing else. No beep, no hard
> drives, no signal to the monitor, no response from the power button. I
> also can’t shut it down at all other than by the mains  on off switch..
> I have removed every lead and plugin component from the motherboard,
> including the bios battery, and one by one reconnected each trying to
> power up each time but I just get the same thing.
>
> I seem to be getting power to the motherboard Gigabyte GA-81PE1000
> with P4 3.0Ghz proccessor as the fans on the board run but I am now
> out of ideas.

Forgot to mention
I am running Windows XP pro on a 7 year old, home built pc with 2mb
ram.
Recently tried Windows 7 but did not like it and reformatted and
reinstalled XP.
From: Ron on
On 16 May, 23:07, "Db" <database...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> sounds like a difficult
> issue to figure out.
>
> what I first try is to
> boot into the bios
> and ensure that the
> time and devices are
> are recognized.

Can't get this far a there is no activity at all other than the power
supply.
No signal to the monitor.
From: Db on
hmm?

it is likely that the monitor
and hard disks would
function on a different
system.

so it sounds to me that
your bios is not detecting
your hardware.

seemingly you should
be able to hold down
either the del key or
f2 key immediately after
pressing the power button
on in order to load up the
bios setup page

but if you can't even get into
the bios then perhaps
the power supply is the
problem

--

"Ron" <ron6a(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> On 16 May, 23:07, "Db" <database...(a)sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> sounds like a difficult
>> issue to figure out.
>>
>> what I first try is to
>> boot into the bios
>> and ensure that the
>> time and devices are
>> are recognized.
>>
> Can't get this far a there is no activity at all other than the power
> supply.
> No signal to the monitor.

Pages: 1
Prev: Updates at Shutdown