From: Robert Comer on
> Okay, that's good to know. So we're left just waiting for MSFT to
> accurately pass the monitor metrics through to the guest VM, then. :-(

I wouldn't know, I never use extended desktop like that, however I don't
think it's passing parameter that's the problem, it's probably the drawing
technology. In VPC2007 it was a directdraw problem, but I don't know about
WVPC.

--
Bob Comer

From: Steve Rindsberg on
In article <ufVSce22KHA.5820(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> > [snippedy-doodah snippedy-yay]

> >> Does it have the seamless operation?
> >
> > Unless you beat it pretty good, it's not even aware of the extended desktop.
> > The copy of Windows running inside it is restricted to the VMware window
> > (which can be full screen on one or another of the monitors). For example,
> > if you doubleclick the title bar of the VMWare app, it expands to fill
> > whichever monitor it's *mostly* on; it doesn't try to fill both monitors
> > (ie, the expanded desktop). If you want it to do that, you'd make the app
> > less than maximized then manually drag and size it to the desired
> > shape/size.
>
> Okay, that sounds a whole like running ordinary VirtualPC VMs. They've
> actually done something kind of crazy with what they now call "Windows
> Virtual PC" that can be added onto non-consumer versions of Windows 7.
> It makes it appear the software running in an XP VM is actually running
> on Windows 7. But it fails to pass along the separate monitor
> information. It's very cool, and at times very frustrating. Funny how
> that goes, huh?

AKA Version 1 bug? ;-)

Been meaning to ask, though: got URL? Where do you download this pup?

==============================
PPT Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.pptfaq.com/

PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint
http://www.pptools.com/

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Steve Rindsberg wrote:
> In article <ufVSce22KHA.5820(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl>, Karl E. Peterson wrote:
>> Steve Rindsberg wrote:
>>> [snippedy-doodah snippedy-yay]

>>> Unless you beat it pretty good, it's not even aware of the extended
>>> desktop. The copy of Windows running inside it is restricted to the
>>> VMware window (which can be full screen on one or another of the
>>> monitors). For example, if you doubleclick the title bar of the VMWare
>>> app, it expands to fill whichever monitor it's *mostly* on; it doesn't
>>> try to fill both monitors (ie, the expanded desktop). If you want it to
>>> do that, you'd make the app less than maximized then manually drag and
>>> size it to the desired shape/size.
>>
>> Okay, that sounds a whole like running ordinary VirtualPC VMs. They've
>> actually done something kind of crazy with what they now call "Windows
>> Virtual PC" that can be added onto non-consumer versions of Windows 7.
>> It makes it appear the software running in an XP VM is actually running
>> on Windows 7. But it fails to pass along the separate monitor
>> information. It's very cool, and at times very frustrating. Funny how
>> that goes, huh?
>
> AKA Version 1 bug? ;-)

I'd like to think, yeah. But given the difficulty I've had describing
it, I wonder if it's risen to anyone's attention yet.

> Been meaning to ask, though: got URL? Where do you download this pup?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

Once you get an "XP Mode" VM running, anything you put in the "All
Users" start menu will show up in your host Windows 7 start menu, under
the VirtualPC group, and can be fired up as you would any other
"native" application. If the VM isn't already running, that starts up
(in the background, unseen) first. The "seamless" app just runs as
would any other, except that it's XP themed rather than all Aero'd out.
<g>

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Robert Comer wrote:
>> Okay, that's good to know. So we're left just waiting for MSFT to
>> accurately pass the monitor metrics through to the guest VM, then. :-(
>
> I wouldn't know, I never use extended desktop like that, however I don't
> think it's passing parameter that's the problem, it's probably the drawing
> technology. In VPC2007 it was a directdraw problem, but I don't know about
> WVPC.

I could find out definitely enough, I guess, by just writing up a quick
little monitor enumeration applet and running it in that mode. But I
think, from the time I've spent working with the monitor API, that it's
pretty clear what's happening. The seamless apps are simply being told
there's one monitor, and its dimensions are given as that of the entire
virtual monitor which is the accumulamulated area of all physical
monitors combined.

IOW, say you have two monitors, side by side. Both running at
1280x1024, with the 0,0 point at the upper-left of monitor 1, which is
on the left. The coordinate space for the twp physical displays would
be something like:

0,0 1279,0 1280,0 2559,0

*1* *2*

0,1023 1279,1023 1280,1023 2559,1023

(Hope you have a fixed-width font! <g>)

But monitor "0" is the virtual display, that covers the whole thing.
It's coordinates would be:

0,0 2559,0

*0*

0,1023 2559,1023

That's the one being given to the seamless apps, when they inquire
about monitor dimensions. This also explains why their popup dialogs
(msgbox's, etc) so often appear split between the two monitors.
They're simply centering themselves on what they see as "the" monitor.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Chirag on
> Robert Comer wrote:
>>> Okay, that's good to know. So we're left just waiting for MSFT to
>>> accurately pass the monitor metrics through to the guest VM, then. :-(
>>
>> I wouldn't know, I never use extended desktop like that, however I don't
>> think it's passing parameter that's the problem, it's probably the
>> drawing technology. In VPC2007 it was a directdraw problem, but I don't
>> know about WVPC.
>
> I could find out definitely enough, I guess, by just writing up a quick
> little monitor enumeration applet and running it in that mode. But I
> think, from the time I've spent working with the monitor API, that it's
> pretty clear what's happening. The seamless apps are simply being told
> there's one monitor, and its dimensions are given as that of the entire
> virtual monitor which is the accumulamulated area of all physical monitors
> combined.
>
> IOW, say you have two monitors, side by side. Both running at 1280x1024,
> with the 0,0 point at the upper-left of monitor 1, which is on the left.
> The coordinate space for the twp physical displays would be something
> like:
>
> 0,0 1279,0 1280,0 2559,0
>
> *1* *2*
>
> 0,1023 1279,1023 1280,1023 2559,1023
>
> (Hope you have a fixed-width font! <g>)
>
> But monitor "0" is the virtual display, that covers the whole thing. It's
> coordinates would be:
>
> 0,0 2559,0
>
> *0*
>
> 0,1023 2559,1023
>
> That's the one being given to the seamless apps, when they inquire about
> monitor dimensions. This also explains why their popup dialogs (msgbox's,
> etc) so often appear split between the two monitors. They're simply
> centering themselves on what they see as "the" monitor.

In that case, for slide shows, all you need to do is resize the slide show
to half of its width. I quickly wrapped this up in an add-in - WVPC
Assistant - http://officeone.mvps.org/wvpcassist/WVPCAssistant10.exe.
Install it within your WVPC instance. Now Whenever you start PowerPoint
slide show within your WVPC instance, the slide show will be resized to half
so that it shows up on the first monitor. Current limitations of the add-in:
(1) It works only with 2 monitors, (2) Both the monitors need to be of the
same resolution, (3) It doesn't care if you run it within WVPC or on regular
Windows - it just resizes the slide show in first half.

- Chirag

PowerShow - View multiple PowerPoint slide shows simultaneously
http://officeone.mvps.org/powershow/powershow.html