From: Jef Roe on
Am I missing something on this networking principle...

Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.

Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

From: Lem on
Jef Roe wrote:
> Am I missing something on this networking principle...
>
> Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
> implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.
>
> Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

I don't use PL networking, so I don't know where you get your "typical"
information from. The Linksys PLK300 claims (but see test below) "Up to
200Mbps transfer rate at physical layer" but "actual throughput of the
PLK300 is limited to 100 Mbps by the Ethernet 10/100 specification, and
will vary depending on network traffic and environmental conditions such
as building wiring type and routing."

You presumably are comparing a PL adapter with a 14 Mbps spec (original
PL HomePlug 1.0) to a wireless-G network. Don't forget that 54 Mbps is
the theoretical maximum for 802.11g. If there is radio frequencey
interference, long distance, or obstructions between your client and
access point, wifi throughput is considerably lessened.

AFAIK, the "praise" (if any) that PL networking gets is due in part to
the fact that it can connect through building construction or in the
presence of RFI or long distances that might interfere with radio
transmission. They also are easy to set up.

See this more or less negative review of PL networking from this past
June: http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Powerline-Networking-Test,review-1333.html
--
Lem

Apollo 11 - 40 years ago:
From: Jack [MVP-Networking] on
Hi
One of the problems with info concerning Entry Level Network hardware is
that their is No adequate disclose about what the quoted "Speed" numbers
actually mean.
The numbers usually represent the Speed of the core chipset of the Network
device, it does not represent the real world performance that as it is
affected by the rest of the hardware, the OS, the software, and in cases of
Wireless and Power Line, the environmental effects of the medium (I.e signal
in the air, and the Power Lines per-se).
The actual PowerLine Network Speed is greatly reduced by the need for signal
compression, security, and by the compensation for spikes and instabilities
in the specific power line system thta the adaptors are plugged into.
"Speed" (Bandwidth) expectation of Ethernet Home Networks using Windows -
http://www.ezlan.net/net_speed.html
What the Signal Strength Bars mean in Wireless hardware? -
http://www.ezlan.net/wbars.html
Jack (MS, MVP-Networking).

From: Pavel A. on
"Jef Roe" <Me(a)btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Am I missing something on this networking principle...
>
> Typically a kit contains one 14Mbps plug and one 85Mbps plug. Which to me
> implies I will be choked to 14Mbps.

No, why? A kit contains *both* devices either 14 or 85 Mbps.
Newer powerline devices on sale now are 200 Mbps.
14 Mbps are very old and should sell dirt cheap.

> Why does it get so much praise when this is 1/4 of my wireless system.

Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.

Regards,
--pa

From: Barb Bowman on
there are some caveats. for instance, in an MDU environment, if you
do NOT enable security on the PL devices, depending on how the
building is wired, your neighbor can see and join your network
simply by purchasing a PL adapter.

as was said earlier, there are RFI issues. the presence on say, a
uninterruptible power supply or filtration device on the same
circuit (does not have to be on the same outlet) can stop the
transmission or greatly reduce the speed.

the future will bring something called WiFi Direct - devices that
can auto negotiate a secure wifi connection with a special
handshake.

On Sun, 18 Oct 2009 02:49:09 +0200, "Pavel A."
<pavel_a(a)12fastmail34.fm> wrote:

>Because powerline is true Zero Configuration (almost).
>It works with your existing Ethernet card and drivers.
>No need to frequently update netcard and router firmware,
>no need to remember keys, passwords, encryption modes etc.
>Nobody hears you over the air and can break in.
>You configure the adapters once, and then it just works.
>And when you buy a kit, even the configuration is already done.
Barb Bowman
MS-MVP
http://www.digitalmediaphile.com
http://digitalmediaphile.wordpress.com