From: vragukumar on
Hello,

I would like to know if XST v11.5 supports any predefined MACRO's. We are
particularly interested in a MACRO for the version of XST being used.

Thanks in advance,
Vikram.

---------------------------------------
Posted through http://www.FPGARelated.com
From: Ed McGettigan on
On Apr 1, 1:45 pm, "vragukumar"
<vragukumar(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.n_o_s_p_a_m.signalogic.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if XST v11.5 supports any predefined MACRO's. We are
> particularly interested in a MACRO for the version of XST being used.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Vikram.
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Posted throughhttp://www.FPGARelated.com

XST is a VHDL and Verilog synthesizer and will synthesis any HDL that
it is provided. The term MACRO has its orgins in schematic design.

What are you really looking for?

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgettigan(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
(snip)

> XST is a VHDL and Verilog synthesizer and will synthesis any HDL that
> it is provided. The term MACRO has its orgins in schematic design.

> What are you really looking for?

It sounds like he is looking for something similar to what
the way the C preprocessor is used in C. I believe that MACRO
has been used a lot longer than computerized schematic design,
back to the beginnings of assembly programming.

I believe that verilog has something similar to the C preprocessor,
I am not so sure about VHDL.

-- glen
From: Ed McGettigan on
On Apr 1, 3:45 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
> Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>
> (snip)
>
> > XST is a VHDL and Verilog synthesizer and will synthesis any HDL that
> > it is provided.  The term MACRO has its orgins in schematic design.
> > What are you really looking for?
>
> It sounds like he is looking for something similar to what
> the way the C preprocessor is used in C.  I believe that MACRO
> has been used a lot longer than computerized schematic design,
> back to the beginnings of assembly programming.
>
> I believe that verilog has something similar to the C preprocessor,
> I am not so sure about VHDL.
>
> -- glen

I almost struck the comment about schematics in my reply and I
probably should have. I was thinking that the original poster might
be referring to the old Xilinx LogiBlox schematic macros that would be
automatically expanded by the Xilinx tools.

Ed McGettigan
--
Xilinx Inc.
From: d_s_klein on
On Apr 1, 4:02 pm, Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
> On Apr 1, 3:45 pm, glen herrmannsfeldt <g...(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>

> > Ed McGettigan <ed.mcgetti...(a)xilinx.com> wrote:
>
> > (snip)
>
> > > XST is a VHDL and Verilog synthesizer and will synthesis any HDL that
> > > it is provided.  The term MACRO has its orgins in schematic design.
> > > What are you really looking for?
>
> > It sounds like he is looking for something similar to what
> > the way the C preprocessor is used in C.  I believe that MACRO
> > has been used a lot longer than computerized schematic design,
> > back to the beginnings of assembly programming.
>
> > I believe that verilog has something similar to the C preprocessor,
> > I am not so sure about VHDL.
>
> > -- glen
>
> I almost struck the comment about schematics in my reply and I
> probably should have.  I was thinking that the original poster might
> be referring to the old Xilinx LogiBlox schematic macros that would be
> automatically expanded  by the Xilinx tools.
>
> Ed McGettigan
> --
> Xilinx Inc.

I think I know what the original poster is asking after...

I have found some things that "just don't" synthesize properly with
ISE-11. By that I mean that there are NO errors or additional
warnings, but the resulting chip is dead, where it wasn't dead with
version 10.

By having a synthesize-time flag, one could create two different
codes, and "if-def" according to which version of XST is being used.

eg:

`ifdef L.70 // this is 11.5
foo <= ~bar;
`else
foo <= !bar;
`endif

Then again, I'm only guessing about what the OP was asking after...

RK