From: Ben Myers on
On 7/18/2010 2:02 PM, Al Dykes wrote:
> In article<WKqdnSOb8ex_DLbRnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>,
> Christopher Muto<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>> Al Dykes wrote:
>>> I've bought a Dell 1464 and it is at least as good as I expected it to
>>> be. Build quality appears to be very high. With care, I would expect a
>>> long life out of it except for one decision made by Dell that probably
>>> saved them $0.05 per machine and that would only be discovered by
>>> using the machine.
>>>
>>> The VGA jack lacks the nuts that allow the plug to be ssecured.
>>>
>>> Were I buying this machine to give professional presentations, it
>>> would instantly be returned as being unsuitable due to it being
>>> impossible to connect robustly to a projector.
>>>
>>> This laptop is my "desktop replacement". I tried to buy a machine that
>>> has a dock option but for reasons I understand, this option doesn't
>>> exist on machines as inexpensive as this machine is.
>>>
>>> Lacking a dock, I have to use the VGA jack and it is being ussed
>>> essentially all the time.
>>>
>>> Due to the lack of screws, the inevitable motion of the VGA jack in
>>> it's socket will make the socket fail and I'm sure it will be
>>> unfixable. I am trying very hard to keep this motion to a minimum.
>>>
>>> When the VGA socket dies, the machine will be unusable for the purpose
>>> I bought it.
>>>
>>> I know there are USB "docking" devices. All the user comments say they
>>> are really crappy as VGA connections.
>>>

>> the machine has a hdmi port for a much better connection to modern
>> displays and projectors. this port carries both the video and the
>

> Live and learn. So an HDMI-connected monitor is functionally equal to
> (or better than) a VGA-connected monitor?
>

> Thanks.

Certainly equal to. Better than, for certain combinations of LCD
monitor, resolution, and graphics chip. I once used a Hitachi LCD
monitor which displayed noticeable artifacts (doubling of horizontal
scan lines due to interpolation done during its conversion from analog
to digital) when connected to a VGA port, but got a lot better when I
used an HDMI cable instead.

Why not get a pair of nuts for the VGA jack on your 1464? Why weren't
they there to begin with? Did you buy the 1464 used? if you bought
from Dell, ask them to send to the nuts to which you are entitled. If
you were in the neighborhood, I'd give you a pair of nuts taken from a
fried or obsolete laptop motherboard or VGA card... Ben Myers
From: Al Dykes on
In article <i20h6n$uah$1(a)news.eternal-september.org>,
Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote:
>On 7/18/2010 2:02 PM, Al Dykes wrote:
>> In article<WKqdnSOb8ex_DLbRnZ2dnUVZ_oCdnZ2d(a)speakeasy.net>,
>> Christopher Muto<muto(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>>> the machine has a hdmi port for a much better connection to modern
>>> displays and projectors. this port carries both the video and the
>>

>> Live and learn. So an HDMI-connected monitor is functionally equal to
>> (or better than) a VGA-connected monitor?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>Certainly equal to. Better than, for certain combinations of LCD
>monitor, resolution, and graphics chip. I once used a Hitachi LCD
>monitor which displayed noticeable artifacts (doubling of horizontal
>scan lines due to interpolation done during its conversion from analog
>to digital) when connected to a VGA port, but got a lot better when I
>used an HDMI cable instead.
>
>Why not get a pair of nuts for the VGA jack on your 1464? Why weren't
>they there to begin with? Did you buy the 1464 used? if you bought

It's a factory-fresh laptop and at the very least, I'd have to drill
plastic assuming there are threaded holes on the VGA socket.

--
Al Dykes

From: HH on
Got some news for you. Most notebooks do not have them. I have 3
notebooks, (HP, Acer and Toshiba) and two netbooks (Acer and Gateway). All
have D-sub jacks for VGA and NONE have the nuts.

HH