From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 1/25/2010 11:20 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 19:14:32 -0800, eternal_nan wrote:
> (top posting fixed)
>>> OTOH, depending on the signal you're trying to lock to there are some
>>> more or less clever things you can do with the phase detector to
>>> improve acquisition. Mind your P's and Q's as you point out, and you
>>> may find that the result is far better than what you could easily do
>>> with an analog circuit.
>>>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I would be very interested in getting some details regarding the "clever
>> things" mentioned below. Could you provide any pointers for reading
>> material, books, papers, whatever. By the way, I own a copy of Tim's
>> book - unfortunately there were no PLL examples in there.
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Ljubisa
>>

> I need to write a DPLL primer; I haven't in part because there are so
> many different applications, I haven't had time to categorize them and
> sort them -- and that's not even addressing alternative synchronization
> methods that make PLL's unnecessary.
>
> If you understand the control theory part, getting a book or two on
> analog PLL design is a huge help -- all the elements are there in both
> digital and analog loops, so an analog PLL book is a great help.
>
> Floyd Gardener's book comes well recommended. I like Dan Wolaver's book
> "Phase Locked Loop Circuit Design", but I haven't gotten Gardener's book
> to compare with it.

A decent treatment of converting the analog PLL principals to digital
that's public would be very worthwhile. I know of only one, done
decades ago, that used a step-invariant z-transform method and got most
of the way there, and didn't address management of dimensional units in
the gain terms. I built on that for a full step-invariant treatment,
that was proprietary and never published, about fifteen years ago and
later a colleague massaged it to cover impulse-invariant z-transform
methodology.

Feel free to contact me offline if you want any help.

--
Eric Jacobsen
Minister of Algorithms
From: Al Clark on

>> I need to write a DPLL primer; I haven't in part because there are so
>> many different applications, I haven't had time to categorize them and
>> sort them -- and that's not even addressing alternative synchronization
>> methods that make PLL's unnecessary.
>>
>> If you understand the control theory part, getting a book or two on
>> analog PLL design is a huge help -- all the elements are there in both
>> digital and analog loops, so an analog PLL book is a great help.
>>
>> Floyd Gardener's book comes well recommended. I like Dan Wolaver's book
>> "Phase Locked Loop Circuit Design", but I haven't gotten Gardener's book
>> to compare with it.
>
> A decent treatment of converting the analog PLL principals to digital
> that's public would be very worthwhile. I know of only one, done
> decades ago, that used a step-invariant z-transform method and got most
> of the way there, and didn't address management of dimensional units in
> the gain terms. I built on that for a full step-invariant treatment,
> that was proprietary and never published, about fifteen years ago and
> later a colleague massaged it to cover impulse-invariant z-transform
> methodology.
>
> Feel free to contact me offline if you want any help.

Tim & Eric,

Maybe this would be a good paper for the comp.dsp conference

Al
From: Tim Wescott on
On Tue, 26 Jan 2010 19:45:59 +0000, Al Clark wrote:

>>> I need to write a DPLL primer; I haven't in part because there are so
>>> many different applications, I haven't had time to categorize them and
>>> sort them -- and that's not even addressing alternative
>>> synchronization methods that make PLL's unnecessary.
>>>
>>> If you understand the control theory part, getting a book or two on
>>> analog PLL design is a huge help -- all the elements are there in both
>>> digital and analog loops, so an analog PLL book is a great help.
>>>
>>> Floyd Gardener's book comes well recommended. I like Dan Wolaver's
>>> book "Phase Locked Loop Circuit Design", but I haven't gotten
>>> Gardener's book to compare with it.
>>
>> A decent treatment of converting the analog PLL principals to digital
>> that's public would be very worthwhile. I know of only one, done
>> decades ago, that used a step-invariant z-transform method and got most
>> of the way there, and didn't address management of dimensional units in
>> the gain terms. I built on that for a full step-invariant treatment,
>> that was proprietary and never published, about fifteen years ago and
>> later a colleague massaged it to cover impulse-invariant z-transform
>> methodology.
>>
>> Feel free to contact me offline if you want any help.
>>

> Tim & Eric,
>
> Maybe this would be a good paper for the comp.dsp conference
>
> Al

I won't be able to come, alas. So unless we figure out how to present in
absentia, I must bow out.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 1/26/2010 1:18 PM, Tim Wescott wrote:

>>> A decent treatment of converting the analog PLL principals to digital
>>> that's public would be very worthwhile. I know of only one, done
>>> decades ago, that used a step-invariant z-transform method and got most
>>> of the way there, and didn't address management of dimensional units in
>>> the gain terms. I built on that for a full step-invariant treatment,
>>> that was proprietary and never published, about fifteen years ago and
>>> later a colleague massaged it to cover impulse-invariant z-transform
>>> methodology.
>>>
>>> Feel free to contact me offline if you want any help.
>>>

>> Tim& Eric,
>>
>> Maybe this would be a good paper for the comp.dsp conference
>>
>> Al
>
> I won't be able to come, alas. So unless we figure out how to present in
> absentia, I must bow out.

I'm still hoping to go, if that helps.

--
Eric Jacobsen