From: PalapaGuy on
I'm doing very early planning of a product that will use DSP-based phase
locked loop technology. Is there a source for rough planning / tradeoff
info that is not math heavy? For example given an input frequency range, I
need to estimate achievable noise bandwidth, lock time, etc.

Thank you.

From: John on
On Jan 23, 5:26 pm, "PalapaGuy" <gmwemail-...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm doing very early planning of a product that will use DSP-based phase
> locked loop technology.  Is there a source for rough planning / tradeoff
> info that is not math heavy?  For example given an input frequency range, I
> need to estimate achievable noise bandwidth, lock time, etc.
>
> Thank you.

Get the 2nd Edition:

http://www.amazon.com/Phaselock-Techniques-Floyd-M-Gardner/dp/0471042943
From: Tim Wescott on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 18:07:13 -0800, John wrote:

> On Jan 23, 5:26 pm, "PalapaGuy" <gmwemail-...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>> I'm doing very early planning of a product that will use DSP-based
>> phase locked loop technology.  Is there a source for rough planning /
>> tradeoff info that is not math heavy?  For example given an input
>> frequency range, I need to estimate achievable noise bandwidth, lock
>> time, etc.
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> Get the 2nd Edition:
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Phaselock-Techniques-Floyd-M-Gardner/dp/0471042943

I also like

<<http://www.amazon.com/Phase-Locked-Loop-Circuit-Design-Wolaver/
dp/0136627439/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264367883&sr=8-2-spell>>

But a large part of that is because I took the class from Dr. Wolaver.

Note that both of these books only cover analog phase lock loop
techniques -- you'll have to extend that to an all-digital loop, although
that's not too big of a stretch if you understand digital control system
design.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Tim Wescott on
On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 16:26:06 -0600, PalapaGuy wrote:

> I'm doing very early planning of a product that will use DSP-based phase
> locked loop technology. Is there a source for rough planning / tradeoff
> info that is not math heavy? For example given an input frequency
> range, I need to estimate achievable noise bandwidth, lock time, etc.
>
> Thank you.

I don't know if there is a "get out of math free" card for this -- yes,
there are some preliminary estimates you can make, but there are so many
variables that your estimate is either going to have to be unduly
conservative or it's going to have a chance of being inadvertently
optimistic.

Post more details, though, and someone may be tempted to help you toward
a better answer.

The short description of the problem is that you're building a control
loop, you have a plant that injects noise at various points and you want
to filter the incoming signal in a certain way. Knowing all the noise
characteristics and the characteristics of the loop you can estimate it's
performance. But you're not going to get away from the math -- at best
you'll alleviate it somewhat by doing some of the work graphically.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Tim Wescott wrote:

> Note that both of these books only cover analog phase lock loop
> techniques -- you'll have to extend that to an all-digital loop, although
> that's not too big of a stretch if you understand digital control system
> design.

You should be careful with digital PLLs. The phase detector is nonlinear
thing, and it makes DPLL different from a common digital control
system; especially when DPLL is in acquisition mode. Besides the obvious
effects of quantization and aliasing, there are also not so obvious
things like false locks or limit cycle behavior so the correct lock
could never be acquired.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com