From: Dave Burns on
We are using the Prolific PL-2305H USB to IEEE1284 Bridge ASIC to tie a
unidirectional parallel port printer to USB. The installed base of printers
currently cannot return the IEEE 1284 Device ID to the PL-2305H so the
PL-2305H will return a 0 length response to the GET_DEVICE_ID request. The
PL-2305H loads the USB descriptors from a table in EEPROM which currently is
set up so the PL-2305H appears as a USS-720 to the host.

I can change the descriptors in the EEPROM and I could implement
serialization in the EEPROM but it will take a hardware change to implement
IEEE 1284 nibble mode or other reverse channel to allow the IEEE 1284 Device
ID to be returned. I'm hoping to avoid this change if possible. Is there any
way to implement a WHQL signed and Vista / WIN7 compliant printer driver
based solely on the USB descriptors and without an IEEE 1284 reverse channel
communications path?

Thanks, Dave