From: Practical on
Hi all,

I have Ubuntu Jaunty. I wish to implement CUPS for two HP printers, one of
which is HP2015dn and the other is HP 1000 series.
Currently, both these printers are installed on Windows PCs.
Can someone please let me know if its possible for me to use CUPS that will
allow Windows users to print using CUPS?

TIA

From: J G Miller on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 19:45:10 +0530, Practical wrote:

> Can someone please let me know if its possible for me to use CUPS that
> will allow Windows users to print using CUPS?

Yes.

On the CUPS administration page you must ensure that

"Share printers connected to this system"

is ticked.

Then apply the settings under advanced appropriate to your requirements.

Have a look at the guide at

<https://help.ubuntu.COM/community/NetworkPrintingFromWinXP>

From: Beauregard T. Shagnasty on
Practical wrote:

> I have Ubuntu Jaunty. I wish to implement CUPS for two HP printers, one of
> which is HP2015dn ...

Further, in regard to the HP2015dn, I have one of those. As you know, it
is a networkable printer. You could plug it directly into your router
using an ethernet cable and not have to worry about CUPS for it.

I'm using Hardy, and the first time I plugged in the printer, turned it
on, Hardy popped up a dialog saying "A printer has been detected. It is an
HP2015dn. Would you like to make it your default printer?" I answered
Yes, and I was done. Dual-side, multi-page and all that just .. worked.

My now-retired old Windows box needed the <mumble>Megabytes drivers
installed from the accompanying CD.

--
-bts