From: Steve Ackman on
In <pan.2010.04.23.18.52.09(a)dasteem.invalid>, on Fri, 23 Apr 2010
18:52:09 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones, luck(a)dasteem.invalid wrote:
> Responding to Steve Ackman:
>
> [...]
>> My wife had a 200Mhz with 32MB RAM a few years back.
>> I put RH 7.1 on it, and it ran everything just fine though I did leave
>> Gnome off, and put on a menu system that would only open one app at a
>> time directly in X. No Window manager at all. It was greased lightning
>> with that config (compared to an AMD K5-75 w/12MB RAM running fvwm2).

> Come on! Out with it! How did you do that?
>
> I gotta play with this now! %)

Did I say a FEW years back? ;-)

She didn't like remembering commands, so I changed
her shell entry in /etc/passwd to point to a bash
script menu.

Options were displayed, and when she'd hit '1',
netscape would launch, '2' and OpenOffice (or it might
have been Star Office then) would open, '3' and her
favorite game, etc... There were only about a dozen
things she wanted to do on the laptop anyway, so it all
easily fit on a single screen menu.

Command for each menu item was along the lines of

xinit `which firefox` or
xinit $(which firefox)

As soon as she closed firefox, she'd be dropped
back into her shell (menu) again.

--
☯☯

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to jch:

> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version of
> linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have Windows ME
> but would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I don't
> want puppy linux which from what I gather resides on a CD. I actually
> want to load linux on the HD and run it from there. What would you
> receommend?
>
> Thanks.

Latest Slackware, plus lightweight WM and tools. (RTFM 1st!)

I recommend and use IceWM window manager and Dillo browser, though there
are plenty of other good choices.

I'm running the above on a P450, and did have IceWM\Slack_10.2 running
fine on an old 64MB-P90 not so long ago.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: jch on
Mike Jones wrote:
> Responding to jch:
>
>> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version
>> of linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have
>> Windows ME but would like to replace it with linux just to play
>> around. I don't want puppy linux which from what I gather resides
>> on a CD. I actually want to load linux on the HD and run it from
>> there. What would you receommend?
>>
>> Thanks.
>

> Latest Slackware, plus lightweight WM and tools. (RTFM 1st!)
>
> I recommend and use IceWM window manager and Dillo browser, though
> there are plenty of other good choices.
>
> I'm running the above on a P450, and did have IceWM\Slack_10.2 running
> fine on an old 64MB-P90 not so long ago.

Thanks much for your first hand account of what may work on my system.

From: Whiskers on
On 2010-04-23, jch <jch(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version of
> linux would run on such a limited system?

Go to <http://distrowatch.com/> and click on 'Search' to see which distros
meet your requirements.

> Right now I have Windows ME but
> would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I don't want puppy
> linux which from what I gather resides on a CD. I actually want to load
> linux on the HD and run it from there. What would you receommend?
>
> Thanks.

Puppy can be installed on the hard disc.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: ray on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:24:44 -0400, jch wrote:

> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version of
> linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have Windows ME
> but would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I don't
> want puppy linux which from what I gather resides on a CD. I actually
> want to load linux on the HD and run it from there. What would you
> receommend?
>
> Thanks.

You don't have an 'old laptop' - I have an old laptop - Zenith 8086 with
640K RAM ;)

Puppy 'resides' on a CD - but it can easily be installed to the hard
disk. Other likely candidates: vector, damn small, Elive. You could even
do a very basic Debian install and take a GUI with 'light' requirements
like XFCE, Enlightenment or several others. Don't try to run anything
with KDE or Gnome - way too 'heavy'.