From: shine on
On 04/22/2010 11:24 PM, jch wrote:
> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version of
> linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have Windows ME but
> would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I don't want puppy
> linux which from what I gather resides on a CD.

Puppy can be installed on HDD.

Elive is also neat:
http://www.elivecd.org/

Xubuntu/Lubuntu there are others.

From: John Hasler on
jch wrote:
> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version
> of linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have Windows
> ME but would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I
> don't want puppy linux which from what I gather resides on a CD. I
> actually want to load linux on the HD and run it from there. What
> would you receommend?

Any distribution such as Debian or Slackware that permits a you to do
"basic" or "standard" install and then install a lightweight window
manager will work fine. The only different thing about the "light"
distributions is that they install a lightweight desktop environment by
default instead of KDE or Gnome. Others have suggested suitable window
managers.
--
John Hasler
jhasler(a)newsguy.com
From: Martin L on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:30:39 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:24:44 -0400, jch wrote:
>> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version of
>> linux would run on such a limited system?
>
> Have you heard about a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) search engine?
> If no, bookmark this one
> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
>
> Putting best linux low power hardware in the first box returns
> Results 1 - 10 of about 280,000 for best linux low power
>hardware.

Instead off scaring the guy off, why don't you just shut up instead?
You've obviously got nothing worth saying anyway.
From: jch on
Steve Ackman wrote:
> In <hqr3tt$v15$1(a)news.albasani.net>, on Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:24:44
> -0400, jch, jch(a)nospam.com wrote:
>> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version
>> of linux would run on such a limited system?
>
> ANY version of Linux will run on that... after you
> strip off the Desktop Environment.
>
> I ran an AMD-2-500 w/64MB as my desktop machine for
> years with fvwm2/lesstif.
>
> My wife had a 200Mhz with 32MB RAM a few years back.
> I put RH 7.1 on it, and it ran everything just fine
> though I did leave Gnome off, and put on a menu system
> that would only open one app at a time directly in X.
> No Window manager at all. It was greased lightning
> with that config (compared to an AMD K5-75 w/12MB RAM
> running fvwm2).
>
> With 128MB, you can multitask, but not so well with
> the super bigs like OOo and firefox & cetera. The bigger
> Desktop Environment you install, the less there is for
> everything else. (Make sure to partition adequate
> swap space.)
>
>> What would you receommend?
>
> I'd recommend skipping the DE, and just going with
> a small window manager like Blackbox.
> http://blackboxwm.sourceforge.net/AboutBlackbox
>
> If you absolutely can't get by without a DE, use XFCE.
> http://www.xfce.org/projects/

Thanks. I'll look into standard distributions. I didn't realize most any
would work with my old laptop and that I could adjust the installation to
exclude heavy management applications. I have experience with early Unix
workstations - ie no windows management and don't mind that for my system.
I can always add complexity later. I'll take a look at Slackware, Debian,
Elive and others. Thanks!

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Steve Ackman:

[...]
> My wife had a 200Mhz with 32MB RAM a few years back.
> I put RH 7.1 on it, and it ran everything just fine though I did leave
> Gnome off, and put on a menu system that would only open one app at a
> time directly in X. No Window manager at all. It was greased lightning
> with that config (compared to an AMD K5-75 w/12MB RAM running fvwm2).

Come on! Out with it! How did you do that?

I gotta play with this now! %)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.