From: philo on
jch wrote:
> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version of
> linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have Windows ME but
> would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I don't want puppy
> linux which from what I gather resides on a CD. I actually want to load
> linux on the HD and run it from there. What would you receommend?
>
> Thanks.

Puppy Linux is fine
once the cd boots up
there is an option to perform a HD install
From: jch on
philo wrote:
> jch wrote:
>> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version
>> of linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have
>> Windows ME but would like to replace it with linux just to play
>> around. I don't want puppy linux which from what I gather resides
>> on a CD. I actually want to load linux on the HD and run it from
>> there. What would you receommend? Thanks.
>>

> Puppy Linux is fine
> once the cd boots up
> there is an option to perform a HD install

I found Absolute Linux and I'm playing around with it for now. Seems to
work ok but I can't configure my touchpad correctly. The tap-tap
functionality is gone and I have to resort back to using the touchpad keys.

From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Steve Ackman:

> In <pan.2010.04.23.22.08.06(a)dasteem.invalid>, on Fri, 23 Apr 2010
> 22:08:06 +0000 (UTC), Mike Jones, luck(a)dasteem.invalid wrote:
>
>> Heh! Playing with it now. :)
>>
>> Some WM functions are missing,
>
> By definition, *all* WM functions are missing. ;-)

Ok, /noticably/ missing. %)

>> and Seamonkey is a tiny thing in the
>> corner, Dillo uses a reasonable amount of screen estate, and Pan runs
>> fullscreen.
>>
>> The mouse-over=focus is weird!
>>
>> So, did you tweak your commands to set up the screen real estate?
>
> I think I must have.
> Also don't forget that you can still flip through
> your screen resolutions to get the "size" you want.

Ah, yes. Forgot about that one.

>> I'm looking at man xinit, but its only "how to hotwire" info.
>>
>> Dayam! I'm flipping back to IceWM. %)
>
> Window Managers really are pretty indispensable,
> if for nothing else than to be able to have multiple xterms open;
> presently 13 on this Debian machine, 8 on the FreeBSD machine...
> although two of the ones here are ssh sessions to the FreeBSD machine,
> so I don't know whether to count those as here or there... or to count
> them twice.

Funny thing is, IceWM doesn't seem to have any nocitable impact on app
response times. Its almost like its not running at all. Neat WM test!

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Aragorn on
On Friday 23 April 2010 20:03 in alt.os.linux, somebody identifying as
Martin L wrote...

> On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:30:39 +0000, Bit Twister wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 23:24:44 -0400, jch wrote:
>>
>>> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version
>>> of linux would run on such a limited system?
>>
>> Have you heard about a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) search
>> engine? If no, bookmark this one
>> http://groups.google.com/advanced_search
>>
>> Putting best linux low power hardware in the first box returns
>> Results 1 - 10 of about 280,000 for best linux low power
>> hardware.
>
> Instead off scaring the guy off, why don't you just shut up instead?
> You've obviously got nothing worth saying anyway.

And you are obviously unfamiliar with Bit Twister. I have known him for
quite some time already and I consider him a friend. He's quite a
friendly, polite and helpful poster, and his technical knowledge has
already helped a lot of people, both newbie and experienced alike.

I know for a fact that when Bit Twister makes such a comment as the one
he made, there is no sarcasm involved. Bit is simply honest to the
bone. He really is trying to be helpful, and he has a point.

We are not here to do any OP's homework or to babysit them. If they
have access to the newsgroups, then they also have access to Google,
and especially for such FAQ subjects as what distribution is best for
machines with limited resources.

I do on the other hand regularly see posts from people who may or may
not possess sufficient technical knowledge to assist any OP but whose
contributions to the threads are mainly focused on flaming or insulting
people. GNU/Linux-related newsgroups[1] are not the proper channel for
doing such a thing either.

If they need to vent, then they should take it elsewhere, and preferably
to whatever or whomever it was that created their need to vent. Or in
plain English: if you have a beef with your boss, or a gull took a dump
on your freshly shined-up '67 Camaro, or your favorite
soccer/football/baseball/basketball team lost the game, then take it
like a man and deal with those issues, but don't log on to Usenet
looking for excuses to flame other people. I haven't seen *you* give
the OP any advice either, albeit that my cricisism here isn't directed
solely at yourself - there are more posters here who could take a hint
from this advice.

[1] Except perhaps for comp.os.linux.advocacy, which in spite of its
name seems to have become a home for socially and/or mentally
dysfunctional Microsoft fanboys, since there's more of them in there
than there would be GNU/Linux advocates. Flamefests are pretty much
the only thing you see in that group, but if hostility is your game
- again, not directed at you yourself only - then other GNU/Linux
newsgroups are not the right place for you to hang out.

Note: *This* post was no flame - I have not insulted you or attacked you
personally. It was an attempt of mine at rectifying what I see as an
unjust and rude reaction against a poster of whom I know that he has no
ill motives because I've known him for years. And it was also a subtle
attempt to make a few other technically skilled posters re-evaluate the
value of their own recent contributions to these newsgroups, and
particularly so the ratio between their technical posts and their flame
posts, with the latter way outranking the former in the statistics.

Have a nice day, Sir.

--
*Aragorn*
(registered GNU/Linux user #223157)
From: Whirled.Peas on
On Fri, 23 Apr 2010 20:52:56 -0400, jch wrote:

> philo wrote:
>> jch wrote:
>>> I've got an old laptop with a 500MHz CPU and 128M RAM. What version
>>> of linux would run on such a limited system? Right now I have Windows
>>> ME but would like to replace it with linux just to play around. I
>>> don't want puppy linux which from what I gather resides on a CD. I
>>> actually want to load linux on the HD and run it from there. What
>>> would you receommend? Thanks.
>>>

>> Puppy Linux is fine
>> once the cd boots up
>> there is an option to perform a HD install
>
> I found Absolute Linux and I'm playing around with it for now. Seems to
> work ok but I can't configure my touchpad correctly. The tap-tap
> functionality is gone and I have to resort back to using the touchpad
> keys.

My two favorites for full-featured, lightweight installs are:
Antix: http://antix.mepis.org/index.php/Main_Page
slitaz: http://www.slitaz.org/en/
Both are geared toward older hardware and use appropriate packages in
keeping with their lighter base.

--
If you try, you can envision peas on earth.