From: Bill R on
I am running a Brother HL-1230 printer from a computer under Windows XP
Professional. Nearly every time I send something to print, the lights flash
as it receives data and then the lights go out and nothing happens. The
second attempt is always successful. I have re-installed the Brother
printer driver. Any ideas what is going on and how to get over the problem
please?

Bill R

From: Shenan Stanley on
Bill R wrote:
> I am running a Brother HL-1230 printer from a computer under
> Windows XP Professional. Nearly every time I send something to
> print, the lights flash as it receives data and then the lights go
> out and nothing happens. The second attempt is always successful. I have
> re-installed the Brother printer driver. Any ideas what is
> going on and how to get over the problem please?

Have you connected this printer to a different computer/laptop to verify it
is a computer issue and not a printer issue?

Do you have the latest motherboard chipset installed for your computer?

What service pack level is your Windows XP Professional computer? Is it the
32-bit OS or the 64-bit OS?

Have you checked with Brother?
http://www.brother-usa.com/Support/?WT.svl=contact

The support for your specific printer:
http://www.brother-usa.com/support/default.aspx?PGID=1&R3ModelID=HL1230&WT.svl=contact

Drivers/FAQs/Troubleshooting for your printer:
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl1230_all

Have you utilized the uninstallation tool to completely remove all traces of
any old drivers for it and installed the latest version available from the
web page?

Drivers (if you haver the 32-bit OS - which I will assume you do as most
with x64 would have mentioned it.):
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_index.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=hl1230_all&dlid=&flang=English&os=7&type2=-1

Also there is the "Printer Driver Uninstall Tool" - which I think you should
use to remove any traces of the driver before rebooting/installing it again
from the download also found there.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP