From: Michael Levin on
On 2/5/08 4:25 PM, in article Owfnl2DaIHA.4440(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl, "Todd
Allcock" <elecconnec(a)AmericaOnLine.com> wrote:

> Ok, your IMAP settings are probably fine, but the device is probably not
> connecting to the cellular network to check IMAP e-mail.
> First, go into Start/Settings/Connections (Tab)/Connections (Icon), then hit
> the "Advanced" tab and tap "Select Networks" and tell me what is in the top
> and bottom bars.

Verizon Wireless is top, and My Work Network is bottom.

> Now go into the Messaging app, and select Menu/Options and tap either the
> Comcast or apple IMAP account to check/edit it's settings.
> "Next" your way through the options to get to screen 4 of 4 and tap
> "Options." Near the bottom of the screen, you should see "Connection" with
> a drop down dialog box. Tap the box and select the cellular data connection
> you saw in the "Connections" applet above- if it wasn't obvious, select one
> of the two you saw- if it doesn't work, we'll try the other next.
> Now "next" your way out of the set up until you see "Finish" and tap that.
> Hit "ok" and select the account we just messed with it and try a
> "Send/Receive." If that worked, "you're welcome!" ;-)

nope :-( same problem. It starts cell modem connection, then says
"connecting", then "logging on", then failure.

Now, I tried setting incoming mail port to 110, and now it doesn't fail but
says 0 messages even if I sent message to that account (which can be seen by
other clients).

> If it STILL doesn't work, I'm afraid this is now between you and your
> cellular provider! (Some simply don't support POP/IMAP unless you use
> their own e-mail servers, which they'd have to give you the settings for.)

This has worked for me before... Is it really true that people on
Verizon can't get Comcast email?

> Now's probably a good time to ask what provider and what device! (Actually
> I should have asked that a few posts ago!) Does it also have WiFi (so you
> can check if the e-mail works over WiFi, to be sure it's a cellular
> connection problem rather than wrong POP/IMAP settings.)

Verizon wireless, device = XV6700 PPC WM5. It has wifi - I'll try it
tonight from home.

Thanks,

Mike

From: Todd Allcock on
At 07 Feb 2008 16:35:18 -0500 Michael Levin wrote:

> Now, I tried setting incoming mail port to 110, and now it doesn't fail
but
> says 0 messages even if I sent message to that account (which can be seen
by
> other clients).

According to Comcast's webpage, you should be using POP3 (ugh!), SSL for
both send and receive, and ports 995 for in and 465 out. You might try
forcing the ports in with the colon trick (i.e. "smtp.comcast.net:465").

> This has worked for me before... Is it really true that people on
> Verizon can't get Comcast email?

I don't know- I don't use either Comcast or Verizon!

A quick Google search turned up a small number of problems with Comcast on
a Variety of mobile devices, but certainly not an overwhelming number.

> Verizon wireless, device = XV6700 PPC WM5. It has wifi - I'll try it
> tonight from home.

At least that'll narrow the problem down to whether it's your e-mail
settings or not. Unfortunately even if it works at home, that won't
necessarily mean it's Verizon's fault, since your WiFi is on Comcast, I
assume. Some ISPs block mail sent from "off" their network. If it also
works from a non-Comcast WiFi hotspot, THAT would place the blaim on Verizon.

From: Michael Levin on
On 2/7/08 6:47 PM, in article fog5cv$rv9$2(a)aioe.org, "Todd Allcock"
<elecconnec(a)AmericaOnLine.com> wrote:

> According to Comcast's webpage, you should be using POP3 (ugh!), SSL for
> both send and receive, and ports 995 for in and 465 out. You might try
> forcing the ports in with the colon trick (i.e. "smtp.comcast.net:465").

Weird; this one
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=EmailOutlook_Express17739

says port 587 and 110. But anyway, I did what you said and it worked. I
think I had it as IMAP before, which is what was breaking it. Oddly, on my
desktop email client, I use Comcast as IMAP. Oh well; thanks!!

Mike

From: Todd Allcock on
At 07 Feb 2008 21:26:13 -0500 Michael Levin wrote:

> > According to Comcast's webpage, you should be using POP3 (ugh!), SSL for
> > both send and receive, and ports 995 for in and 465 out. You might try
> > forcing the ports in with the colon trick (i.e. "smtp.comcast.net:465").
>
> Weird; this one
> http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=EmailOutlook_Express17739
>
> says port 587 and 110.

587 and 110, IIRC, are usually for non-SSL connections, which probably
works fine from your home PC that's connected to Comcast. ISPs often
require tighter security when you're e-mailing through their servers
fromoutside their network, to prevent spam. SSL seems to be required by
Comcast when "off network" (and probably works fine on-network as well,
even if not neccessary, so that laptop users don't need to keep changing
settings when traveling and when at home.)

The settings page I Googled earlier was specifically for retrieving e-mail
when connecting from outside Comcast's network. I just tried finding it
again, and this time found a page for setting up Comcast e-mail on the
Apple iPhone, that seems to agree with my earlier Google search:
http://www.comcast.net/help/faq/index.jsp?faq=Email119063

It also specifies port 465 (and SSL) instead of 587.

> But anyway, I did what you said and it worked. I
> think I had it as IMAP before, which is what was breaking it. Oddly, on my
> desktop email client, I use Comcast as IMAP. Oh well; thanks!!

I'll accept those thanks now that it works! ;-) You're very welcome!

Have a good one!