From: Dave C. on
I recently purchased a new HP97 tri-color cartridge (for HP Deskjet
6980) and gave it its first refill today. Unfortunately the ink level
registered empty before I got around to refill it.

Well, after refilling it, the printer will not print. It will not
respond to nozzle test, cartridge cleaning, etc. I have done slow
filling, contact cleaning, rinsing the head, removing power for 30
seconds, and any other things I can think of to no avail.

It acts as if there is a chip or something in it that gets set once
the level is detected empty.

It prints fine with only the black cartridge (HP96) installed which
the printer is supposed to do.

I suppose that if I refilled it before it registered empty, it might
have worked OK.

Is there anyway I can get the cartridge to start printing?

Regards,

Dave C.
From: Dave C. on
On Mar 15, 2:10 pm, "Dave C." <cardare...(a)c4.net> wrote:
> I recently purchased a new HP97 tri-color cartridge (for HP Deskjet
> 6980) and gave it its first refill today.  Unfortunately the ink level
> registered empty before I got around to refill it.
>
> Well, after refilling it, the printer will not print. It will not
> respond to nozzle test, cartridge cleaning, etc.   I have done slow
> filling, contact cleaning, rinsing the head, removing power for 30
> seconds, and any other things I can think of to no avail.
>
> It acts as if there is a chip or something in it that gets set once
> the level is detected empty.
>
> It prints fine with only the black cartridge (HP96) installed which
> the printer is supposed to do.
>
> I suppose that if I refilled it before it registered empty, it might
> have worked OK.
>
> Is there anyway I can get the cartridge to start printing?
>
> Regards,
>
> Dave C.

I want to add that I have filled many HP97 (and HP96) carts with this
printer and previous printers. But when I purchased this cartridge
about 4 weeks ago, it was in updated packaging stating that it prints
more than previous HP97's which makes me think it might be a new
version cartridge to defeat refilling.

Dave C.
From: A&W on
Dave C. wrote:
> On Mar 15, 2:10 pm, "Dave C."<cardare...(a)c4.net> wrote:
>> I recently purchased a new HP97 tri-color cartridge (for HP Deskjet
>> 6980) and gave it its first refill today. Unfortunately the ink level
>> registered empty before I got around to refill it.
>>
>> Well, after refilling it, the printer will not print. It will not
>> respond to nozzle test, cartridge cleaning, etc. I have done slow
>> filling, contact cleaning, rinsing the head, removing power for 30
>> seconds, and any other things I can think of to no avail.
>>
>> It acts as if there is a chip or something in it that gets set once
>> the level is detected empty.
>>
>> It prints fine with only the black cartridge (HP96) installed which
>> the printer is supposed to do.
>>
>> I suppose that if I refilled it before it registered empty, it might
>> have worked OK.
>>
>> Is there anyway I can get the cartridge to start printing?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave C.
>
> I want to add that I have filled many HP97 (and HP96) carts with this
> printer and previous printers. But when I purchased this cartridge
> about 4 weeks ago, it was in updated packaging stating that it prints
> more than previous HP97's which makes me think it might be a new
> version cartridge to defeat refilling.
>
> Dave C.

Yes, unfortunately HP has devised a new cartridge that seems to have
hampered refilling. These cartridges are dated 2010/2011, it not limited
to the HP97, there are other cartridges showing up with the same
problems, all dated 2010/2011. So much for being environmental eh HP?
From: Dave C. on
On Mar 17, 2:33 pm, A&W <tigerwa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
> Dave C. wrote:
> > On Mar 15, 2:10 pm, "Dave C."<cardare...(a)c4.net>  wrote:
> >> I recently purchased a new HP97 tri-color cartridge (for HP Deskjet
> >> 6980) and gave it its first refill today.  Unfortunately the ink level
> >> registered empty before I got around to refill it.
>
> >> Well, after refilling it, the printer will not print. It will not
> >> respond to nozzle test, cartridge cleaning, etc.   I have done slow
> >> filling, contact cleaning, rinsing the head, removing power for 30
> >> seconds, and any other things I can think of to no avail.
>
> >> It acts as if there is a chip or something in it that gets set once
> >> the level is detected empty.
>
> >> It prints fine with only the black cartridge (HP96) installed which
> >> the printer is supposed to do.
>
> >> I suppose that if I refilled it before it registered empty, it might
> >> have worked OK.
>
> >> Is there anyway I can get the cartridge to start printing?
>
> >> Regards,
>
> >> Dave C.
>
> > I want to add that I have filled many HP97 (and HP96) carts with this
> > printer and previous printers.  But when I purchased this cartridge
> > about 4 weeks ago, it was in updated packaging stating that it prints
> > more than previous HP97's which makes me think it might be a new
> > version cartridge to defeat refilling.
>
> > Dave C.
>
> Yes, unfortunately HP has devised a new cartridge that seems to have
> hampered refilling. These cartridges are dated 2010/2011, it not limited
> to the HP97, there are other cartridges showing up with the same
> problems, all dated 2010/2011. So much for being environmental eh HP?

Thanks, I think I'll look for a retailer that may have some dated
prior to 2010. Meanwhile, I will top them off before they empty and
see if that gets around it. Also bulk ink suppliers sometimes get on
board with these things and may have some information soon.

Thanks,

Dave C.
From: A&W on
Dave C. wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2:33 pm, A&W<tigerwa...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Dave C. wrote:

>>> I want to add that I have filled many HP97 (and HP96) carts with this
>>> printer and previous printers. But when I purchased this cartridge
>>> about 4 weeks ago, it was in updated packaging stating that it prints
>>> more than previous HP97's which makes me think it might be a new
>>> version cartridge to defeat refilling.
>>
>>> Dave C.
>>
>> Yes, unfortunately HP has devised a new cartridge that seems to have
>> hampered refilling. These cartridges are dated 2010/2011, it not limited
>> to the HP97, there are other cartridges showing up with the same
>> problems, all dated 2010/2011. So much for being environmental eh HP?
>
> Thanks, I think I'll look for a retailer that may have some dated
> prior to 2010. Meanwhile, I will top them off before they empty and
> see if that gets around it. Also bulk ink suppliers sometimes get on
> board with these things and may have some information soon.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave C.

Yes, we are looking into this new brick wall, it just recently started
showing up with remanufacturers, and we are on it. Also HP is adding
another chemical to there inks that seems to clog up the printhead and
make it useless, it is similar to crazy glue.