From: cheapdave on
Have a two year old desktop computer AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
4600+ AM2 with 4 Gig's ram. Recently had a problem with hard drive....so
decided to take to someone to fix...He replaced hard drive, I also asked
him to install Windows 7 to try out (had been running XP) but he is having a
problem. This is email from him explaining situation...........

"there seems like theres a lot of people complaining about windows seven not
installing, particularly on AMD dual cores that use hypertransport. it
seems kind of weird, but win 7 just wont install, i have another copy of
win7 to try to install it but im not thinking that's going to work either.
what is a definite though is this computer will run Xp perfectly. if you
just want to go with win xp home, i need your license key, which is usually
attached to the case, but isn't on this pc.

im going to try to install 7 on this pc once again on thursday, but i
probably wont have it ready to go until friday.

to sum it all up, i cant get 7 to work, XP does work, and if you want to
just use xp i need your key."

Does anyone know if Windows 7 can be installed on this computer?
From: Grinder on
On 2/16/2010 11:05 PM, cheapdave(a)home.com wrote:
> Have a two year old desktop computer AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
> 4600+ AM2 with 4 Gig's ram. Recently had a problem with hard drive....so
> decided to take to someone to fix...He replaced hard drive, I also asked
> him to install Windows 7 to try out (had been running XP) but he is having a
> problem. This is email from him explaining situation...........
>

> "there seems like theres a lot of people complaining about windows seven not
> installing, particularly on AMD dual cores that use hypertransport. it
> seems kind of weird, but win 7 just wont install, i have another copy of
> win7 to try to install it but im not thinking that's going to work either.
> what is a definite though is this computer will run Xp perfectly. if you
> just want to go with win xp home, i need your license key, which is usually
> attached to the case, but isn't on this pc.
>
> im going to try to install 7 on this pc once again on thursday, but i
> probably wont have it ready to go until friday.
>
> to sum it all up, i cant get 7 to work, XP does work, and if you want to
> just use xp i need your key."
>

> Does anyone know if Windows 7 can be installed on this computer?

You haven't really provided enough information to hazard a guess. What
motherboard is in "this computer?" (Just naming the processor doesn't
particularily identify a computer.)

At any rate, you tech's "discovery" that Windows 7 does not work well
with AMD dual cores seems a little shifty. That's not all that's hinky,
though.

Do you own a Windows XP license?

Do you own a Windows 7 license?

From: Steve Urbach on
On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 01:06:28 -0600, Grinder <grinder(a)no.spam.maam.com> wrote:

>Do you own a Windows XP license?
>
>Do you own a Windows 7 license?

You noticed the lack of COA sticker , too.
He is probably trying a BIOS locked version.

From: relic on

<cheapdave(a)home.com> wrote in message
> Have a two year old desktop computer AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor
> 4600+ AM2 with 4 Gig's ram. Recently had a problem with hard drive....so
> decided to take to someone to fix...He replaced hard drive, I also asked
> him to install Windows 7 to try out (had been running XP) but he is having
> problem. This is email from him explaining situation...........
>

> "there seems like theres a lot of people complaining about windows seven
> not
> installing, particularly on AMD dual cores that use hypertransport. it
> seems kind of weird, but win 7 just wont install, i have another copy of
> win7 to try to install it but im not thinking that's going to work either.
> what is a definite though is this computer will run Xp perfectly. if you
> just want to go with win xp home, i need your license key, which is
> usually
> attached to the case, but isn't on this pc.
>
> im going to try to install 7 on this pc once again on thursday, but i
> probably wont have it ready to go until friday.
>
> to sum it all up, i cant get 7 to work, XP does work, and if you want to
> just use xp i need your key."
>

> Does anyone know if Windows 7 can be installed on this computer?

Since you don't even provide what kind of error you've encountered, I can
only assume that you're a troll. Go away.

From: cheapdave on
I apologize if my question was not clear.....I'm technologically challenged,
so please cut me a break.....The "Tech" working on my computer is high
school kid and not a pro......my finances are not great right now, so
trying to get this job done on the cheap.

ECS NFORCE6m-A Socket AM2/ nForce4-4X/ DDR2/ SATA/ A&L/ ATX Motherboard

I own a XP license, but not a Windows 7 license......according to "Tech" he
can install copy of Windows 7 on my computer which I can use legally for 60
days.......he tells me he has done same on couple of other computers....and
no problems.....after 60 days will need to either purchase key for Win7 or
switch back to XP ..............I was wanting to try Windows 7 for a bit
before parting with cash.

The "Tech" told me that nothing would come up on screen when he put in
install disk for win7 that is about all I know right now.....

So just hoping to find out if Windows 7 can be installed on this
computer......and what could be causing problem........he had no problem
formatting new hard drive and installing XP.

Also have observed that Windows 7 home premium OEM DVD is available from
Tiger Direct for 109.99
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5213931&Sku=M17-7300

What is OEM? why is it so much cheaper?

Any help much appreciated