From: Grinder on
On 2/18/2010 8:30 PM, Mike wrote:
> Hello.
>
> A friend built me a new PC for gaming and installed a counterfeit version
> of Windows XP Professional. I provided him with a genuine disk of Windows
> XP Home Edition but for some reason he did not use it when formatting the
> HD.
>
> I learned this when I went to the Windows website and attempted to download
> the latest updates for XP Home.
>
> Now each time I start the PC my desktop displays a warning about the copy
> of Windows XP Professional not being genuine. I spent 200 bucks for a
> genuine copy of XP Home and would like to install it, but I'm not sure how
> to go about this.
>
> Can I simply insert the genuine copy of XP Home into my DVD player and
> install this good version over the counterfeit version. Or should I
> reformat the HD before installing the genuine copy.

The short answer is: You should reinstall a clean copy of the XP edition
you're entitled to, with your legitimate key. There are undoubtedly
ways to make you appear legit without doing as much, but the clean
restart will actually make you kosher.
From: F8BOE on
<q(a)qo.gvtr> Mike wrote:

> Hello.
>
> A friend built me a new PC for gaming and installed a
counterfeit version
> of Windows XP Professional. I provided him with a genuine
disk of Windows
> XP Home Edition but for some reason he did not use it when
formatting the
> HD.
>
> I learned this when I went to the Windows website and
attempted to
> download the latest updates for XP Home.
>
> Now each time I start the PC my desktop displays a warning
about the copy
> of Windows XP Professional not being genuine. I spent 200
bucks for a
> genuine copy of XP Home and would like to install it, but
I'm not sure how
> to go about this.
>
> Can I simply insert the genuine copy of XP Home into my DVD
player and
> install this good version over the counterfeit version. Or
should I
> reformat the HD before installing the genuine copy.
>
> Your help would be greatly appreciated. :)
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Mike Pauley

Yes, boot on your genuine thing CD and be happy...

--

Ciao @+

Sony GR-215MP powered by Mandriva-Linux 2010.0