From: Jack on
I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and run
Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I often
find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3 versions of
iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.

Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
efficient? Thanks for any help
From: Grinder on
On 2/22/2010 4:14 PM, Jack wrote:
> I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and run
> Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I often
> find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3 versions of
> iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
> so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
>
> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
> efficient? Thanks for any help

You're sort of at the lower limit for acceptable performance under
Windows XP. If I had to use the PC, I would probably start by doing a
clean install of the operating system. In the era that machine probably
came out, Compaq (and others) were loading lots of bloatware on their
machines.

Also, make sure you have the proper, up-to-date video drivers. Bad
drivers can really bring a system down.

From: philo on
Jack wrote:
> I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and run
> Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I often
> find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3 versions of
> iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
> so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
>
> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
> efficient? Thanks for any help

Go into the control panel and set for best performance

you don't need the eye candy

http://www.tunexp.com/tips/maintain_your_computer/set_performance_options_in_windows_xp/

you may also want to run msconfig
and take un-needed aps out of startup
From: Dave on
On Feb 22, 5:14 pm, jplasa...(a)NOSPAMjuno.com (Jack) wrote:
> I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP.   It has an
> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and  I have increased the
> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM.   I have defragged and run
> Ad-Aware.  I run C Cleaner often.  When I run Task Scheduler, I often
> find that the memory is loaded.   I frequently find 2-3 versions of
> iexplore.exe.  Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
> so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
>
> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
> efficient?  Thanks for any help

Run msconfig, and uncheck any applications you don't need to be
running in the background when your PC starts. There are performance
tweaks out there to disable some of window's unnecessary services as
well. Remove any unneeded protocols from your network setup as well.
Generally, only TCP/IP is necessary anymore. Get a copy of mydefrag
and run that organizing by last used date.

I ran a machine similar to yours for years and only upgraded 6 months
ago. The machine worked well until the fan died and the CPU fried in
a matter of about 30 seconds. Newer games were unplayable and flash
video was choppy (youtube, etc.), but other than that it was more than
sufficient to run things like skype, a web browser, and older office
apps (97).
From: roach on

"Jack" <jplasater(a)NOSPAMjuno.com> wrote in message
>I have an old Compaq Presario 5000 that is running on XP. It has an
> Intel Celeron Processor that is 1.1 GHZ and I have increased the
> memory to its max which is 512 Mb of SDRAM. I have defragged and run
> Ad-Aware. I run C Cleaner often. When I run Task Scheduler, I often
> find that the memory is loaded. I frequently find 2-3 versions of
> iexplore.exe. Skype takes some space but I have to leave it in memory
> so I can receive calls from my daughter overseas.
>
> Are there any suggestions of how I can get it to run faster and more
> efficient? Thanks for any help

if you only have one instance of internet explorer running but still have
iexplore.exe 2-3 times then you have been infected
with trojan/spyware/virus

go into safemode
run ccleaner
run malwarebytes anti malware

but also remember the spec of your machine is always going to feel slow with
todays software installed
there are loads of other small tweaks you could do but you really need a new
machine