From: ponync on
I just bought a new computer that has Windows Vista Home Premium. I am
trying to install Microsoft Office 97. When I insert the CD and click to
install I get the message "setup cannot access the required initialization
file E:\OS\SYSTEM\OLEAUT32.DLL. Any suggestions?
From: Susan Ramlet on
Hi, ponync,

Office 97 is very old, and I'd be very surprised if it runs under
Vista....you could try it in "compatibility mode", but I'd be surprised if
it works. I think I'd seriously consider an upgrade. Vista wasn't designed
to be backward compatible forever, unfortunately. Microsoft has a kind of
"end of life" policy for most of their software. This may help:

Description of the versions of Office that are supported on Windows Vista

If you are unable to upgrade because of the cost, you might certainly
consider other free or lower-cost options such as Open Office, Google
Documents, or Microsoft Works:
http://www.microsoft.com/products/works/default.mspx

--
Susan Ramlet

From: baker128 on
I have the same problem with Windows XP Home Edition and I am trying to load
it on my new Toshiba lap top. I also bought a new Compaq (running on Vista)
to replace a Dell where the XP was already on. The store had no problem
Without XP, I will have to redo years of work. HELP
--
d&d

From: DL on
Windows XP Home and OfficeXP are two different things, one is an operating
system

If OfficeXP was supplied by Dell than its an oem version and is not
transferable to a new PC

From: Gordon on

"baker128" <baker128(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have the same problem with Windows XP Home Edition and I am trying to
> load
> it on my new Toshiba lap top. I also bought a new Compaq (running on
> Vista)
> to replace a Dell where the XP was already on. The store had no problem
> Without XP, I will have to redo years of work. HELP

Why do you think you will have to redo years of work? You documents are
totally unrelated to OS or version of Office...