From: Wookai on
I just got a VPS for private use, and wanted to upgrade it to Debian
testing (squeeze) in order to have newer packages. The actual version
was Debian stable (lenny).

What I did is simply :

1. edit /etc/apt/sources.list and replace lenny with squeeze
2. run apt-get update
3. run apt-get dist-upgrade

This is AFAIK the standard way of upgrading a machine. However, I got
the following error :

Selecting previously deselected package insserv.
dpkg: considering deconfiguration of sysv-rc, which would be
broken by installation of insserv ...
dpkg: yes, will deconfigure sysv-rc (broken by insserv).
(Reading database ... 37095 files and directories currently
installed.)
Unpacking insserv (from .../insserv_1.12.0-14_i386.deb) ...
De-configuring sysv-rc ...
Setting up insserv (1.12.0-14) ...
(Reading database ... 37124 files and directories currently
installed.)
Preparing to replace sysv-rc 2.86.ds1-61 (using .../sysv-
rc_2.87dsf-8_all.deb) ...
touch: setting times of `/etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering': Bad
address
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-
rc_2.87dsf-8_all.deb (--unpack):
subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status
1
/var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.87dsf-8_all.deb

When trying to install sysv-rc itself, I get the following error. The
file in question (/etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering) exists, but is
empty.

Has anybody an idea of what causes this error, and how I could solve
it ?
From: Bill Marcum on
On 2009-12-07, Wookai <vincent.etter(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Preparing to replace sysv-rc 2.86.ds1-61 (using .../sysv-
> rc_2.87dsf-8_all.deb) ...
> touch: setting times of `/etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering': Bad
> address
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-
> rc_2.87dsf-8_all.deb (--unpack):
> subprocess new pre-installation script returned error exit status
> 1
> /var/cache/apt/archives/sysv-rc_2.87dsf-8_all.deb
>
> When trying to install sysv-rc itself, I get the following error. The
> file in question (/etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering) exists, but is
> empty.
>
> Has anybody an idea of what causes this error, and how I could solve
> it ?

rm /etc/init.d/.legacy-bootordering ?
From: philo on
Wookai wrote:
> I just got a VPS for private use, and wanted to upgrade it to Debian
> testing (squeeze) in order to have newer packages. The actual version
> was Debian stable (lenny).
>
> What I did is simply :

<snip>

I always advise *not* to attempt an upgrade.

Keep your /home partition

format the rest and perform a clean install

BTW: I advise testing the new distro first on a spare hard drive...
you may or may not like the results