From: Johne_uk on
Hi

I'm having some isses with a 10G physical standby database and an
archive gap. The standby instance does not use dataguard because of
bandwidth limitations so instead I periodically copy over and manually
register any archive logs from the primary instance i.e. alter
database register physical logfile xxxxx. All of the logs are being
reported as successfully registered.

I created the standby instance a few weeks ago and all was going well
until last weekend. I have a daily monitoring script that runs after
the logs have been copied over and registered which shows the current
log sequence on both primary/standby instances and checks if there is
an archive gap. The entries below was the last log before things
started to go wrong.

Standby Current Log Sequence (DR) : 14383
Primary Current Log Sequence (PROD) : 14383
Archive Gap
no rows selected

Then an archive gap appeared
Standby Current Log Sequence (DR) : 14531
Primary Current Log Sequence (PROD) : 14531

Archive Gap
THREAD# LOW_SEQUENCE#
HIGH_SEQUENCE#
---------- -------------
--------------

The strange thing is the range of logs in the gap were lower than the
previous day's email that indicated that the current log was 14383 and
there was no gap. The missing archive logs have now been purged on
both instances although I may be able to restore from from tape.

NB: Just checked todays logs and now the gap stands at
THREAD# LOW_SEQUENCE#
HIGH_SEQUENCE#
---------- -------------
--------------

This is the first time I've setup a physical standby and most
documentation assumes I would be using Dataguard. I'd appreciate a few
pointers on what I may have done wrong as I thought once a logfile had
been registered then the database would be updated.

Thanks in advance
John
From: Johne_uk on
On 2 Feb, 11:28, Johne_uk <edg...(a)tiscali.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm having some isses with a 10G physical standby database and an
> archive gap. The standby instance does not use dataguard because of
> bandwidth limitations so instead I periodically copy over and manually
> register any archive logs from the primary instance i.e. alter
> database register physical logfile xxxxx. All of the logs are being
> reported as successfully registered.
>
> I created the standby instance a few weeks ago and all was going well
> until last weekend. I have a daily monitoring script that runs after
> the logs have been copied over and registered which shows the current
> log sequence on both primary/standby instances and checks if there is
> an archive gap. The entries below was the last log before things
> started to go wrong.
>
> Standby Current Log Sequence (DR) :              14383
> Primary Current Log Sequence (PROD) :            14383
> Archive Gap
> no rows selected
>
> Then an archive gap appeared
> Standby Current Log Sequence (DR) :              14531
> Primary Current Log Sequence (PROD) :            14531
>
> Archive Gap
>    THREAD# LOW_SEQUENCE#
> HIGH_SEQUENCE#
> ---------- -------------
> --------------
>          1         13310          13411
>
> The strange thing is the range of logs in the gap were lower than the
> previous day's email that indicated that the current log was 14383 and
> there was no gap. The missing archive logs have now been purged on
> both instances although I may be able to restore from from tape.
>
> NB: Just checked todays logs and now the gap stands at
> THREAD# LOW_SEQUENCE#
> HIGH_SEQUENCE#
>          1         13310          13535
>
> This is the first time I've setup a physical standby and most
> documentation assumes I would be using Dataguard. I'd appreciate a few
> pointers on what I may have done wrong as I thought once a logfile had
> been registered then the database would be updated.
>
> Thanks in advance
> John

I re-applied the single 13310 log and the entire gap disappeared.