From: Robert Flint on
I have installed the 32 bit version of 11.2 into a virtual machine running
on VMWare player on 32 bit Windows XP. The install went fine and the VM
works correctly but for one problem. The VM appears in quite a small window
and if I increase the window size by dragging it or by maximising it I run
into a problem with the VM's fonts. The fonts on the destop and the panel
are fine but fonts in applications become enormous. This includes Firefox,
Yast and ordinary terminal windows. It seems that the fonts increase in size
in proportion to the increase in size of the overall window yet if I check
the font settings for the terminal or in Yast they are still set to 9 or 10
point. I have the VMWare tools package installed.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ROB

From: Pipo on
Robert Flint wrote:

> I have installed the 32 bit version of 11.2 into a virtual
> machine running on VMWare player on 32 bit Windows XP. The
> install went fine and the VM works correctly but for one
> problem. The VM appears in quite a small window and if I
> increase the window size by dragging it or by maximising it I
> run into a problem with the VM's fonts. The fonts on the destop
> and the panel are fine but fonts in applications become
> enormous. This includes Firefox, Yast and ordinary terminal
> windows. It seems that the fonts increase in size in proportion
> to the increase in size of the overall window yet if I check
> the font settings for the terminal or in Yast they are still
> set to 9 or 10 point. I have the VMWare tools package
> installed.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> ROB

Not sure about this. I have just installed vmware server 32 bits
myself on a 64 bits Opensuse 11.2. Had some problems of resize
and getting full screen working, which were solved by entering
the size of the display at the end of the vmx file of the guest :

svga.maxWidth = "1440"
svga.maxHeight = "900"

Bertrand
From: Robert Flint on

"Pipo" <hello(a)icioula.com> wrote in message

> Not sure about this. I have just installed vmware server 32 bits
> myself on a 64 bits Opensuse 11.2. Had some problems of resize
> and getting full screen working, which were solved by entering
> the size of the display at the end of the vmx file of the guest :
>
> svga.maxWidth = "1440"
> svga.maxHeight = "900"
>
> Bertrand

Thanks for the reply but didn't help, I'm afraid.

ROB

From: JT on
On 16/03/10 12:22, Robert Flint wrote:
> "Pipo" <hello(a)icioula.com> wrote in message
>
>> Not sure about this. I have just installed vmware server 32 bits
>> myself on a 64 bits Opensuse 11.2. Had some problems of resize
>> and getting full screen working, which were solved by entering
>> the size of the display at the end of the vmx file of the guest :
>>
>> svga.maxWidth = "1440"
>> svga.maxHeight = "900"
>>
>> Bertrand
>>
> Thanks for the reply but didn't help, I'm afraid.
>
> ROB

Why not play with / try a kvm based solution? If your kernel supports it
that's (IMHO) a better option than VMWare (open as opposed to
proprietary, which shows in the fact that VMWare are not eager to join
the kvm efforts made under linux).

--
Kind regards, JT

From: Mark Draheim on
JT wrote:

> On 16/03/10 12:22, Robert Flint wrote:
>> "Pipo" <hello(a)icioula.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Not sure about this. I have just installed vmware server 32 bits
>>> myself on a 64 bits Opensuse 11.2. Had some problems of resize
>>> and getting full screen working, which were solved by entering
>>> the size of the display at the end of the vmx file of the guest :
>>>
>>> svga.maxWidth = "1440"
>>> svga.maxHeight = "900"

> Why not play with / try a kvm based solution? If your kernel
> supports it that's (IMHO) a better option than VMWare (open as
> opposed to
> proprietary, which shows in the fact that VMWare are not eager to
> join the kvm efforts made under linux).

well, the video options of kvm/qemu are quite limited. Nevertheless, I
also prefer KVM over VMWare.

As to the question of the OP: Did you try setting the screen
resolution from within inside the guest OS? The window on your Desktop
should follow the size set within the gues OS.

cheers

Mark

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3