From: Joe Cool on
On Sep 23, 4:34 pm, "Peter Duniho" <no.peted.s...(a)no.nwlink.spam.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:59:15 -0700, Joe Cool <joecool1...(a)live.com> wrote:
> > WIll this help? Here is the GenericBinder class: [...]
>
> Here are some links you may find helpful:http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/complete.htmlhttp://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/incomplete.htmlhttp://sscce.org/(some Java-centric stuff, but mostly applicable to any
> programming questions)

Interesting reading. But none of it answers my original question. I
just cut and pasted the entire class. I did not write this, I was told
to make some mods to another class in the project and this problem
cropped up. Obviously the person who wrote that class cut and pasted
the code from somewhere else and modified for our specific needs.

From: Peter Duniho on
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:51:01 -0700, Joe Cool <joecool1969(a)live.com> wrote:

>> Here are some links you may find
>> helpful:http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/complete.htmlhttp://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/incomplete.htmlhttp://sscce.org/(some
>> Java-centric stuff, but mostly applicable to any
>> programming questions)
>
> Interesting reading. But none of it answers my original question.

Correct. The goal of those links are not to answer your original
question, but to provide you with the information you need in order to ask
a question that can be answered.
From: Joe Cool on
On Sep 23, 3:56 pm, "Peter Duniho" <no.peted.s...(a)no.nwlink.spam.com>
wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 13:51:01 -0700, Joe Cool <joecool1...(a)live.com> wrote:
> >> Here are some links you may find
> >> helpful:http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/csharp/complete.htmlhttp://www.yoda.arac...
> >> Java-centric stuff, but mostly applicable to any
> >> programming questions)
>
> > Interesting reading. But none of it answers my original question.
>
> Correct.  The goal of those links are not to answer your original
> question, but to provide you with the information you need in order to ask
> a question that can be answered.

I am still missing your point. From what I can tell, the only problem
with what I posted was that I included a bunch on comments in the
Generic Binder class post. But jeez, how does that mean that I have
asked a question that cannot be answered.

You asked for more details, I provided them. What's the problem?
From: Peter Duniho on
On Wed, 23 Sep 2009 18:47:41 -0700, Joe Cool <joecool1969(a)live.com> wrote:

> I am still missing your point.

I am unable to explain my point any better than the web pages to which I
referred you.

> From what I can tell, the only problem
> with what I posted was that I included a bunch on comments in the
> Generic Binder class post.

That may be as much as you can tell, but it's far from the only problem.

> But jeez, how does that mean that I have
> asked a question that cannot be answered.

If someone here cannot take a verbatim copy of the code you post, paste it
into an empty file, and then compile and execute that file without _any_
additional work, then you have not posted the necessary
concise-but-complete code example.

In some cases a question is so simple that someone can easily infer enough
information to complete the question and answer it in spite of the lack of
appropriate detail in the question. But this is not one of those cases.

> You asked for more details, I provided them. What's the problem?

I didn't simply ask "for more details". I asked for a specific kind of
detail, which you have not yet provided.

I suspect that in the end, you will find that you are somehow managing to
not provide the exact same bytes to the deserialize method as were
produced in the serialize method. But until you provide an appropriate
code example, there's no way to verify that, or even to say for sure
that's actually the problem.

Pete
From: Family Tree Mike on
Joe Cool wrote:
> On Sep 23, 3:56 pm, "Peter Duniho" <no.peted.s...(a)no.nwlink.spam.com>
> wrote:
>>> Interesting reading. But none of it answers my original question.
>> Correct. The goal of those links are not to answer your original
>> question, but to provide you with the information you need in order to ask
>> a question that can be answered.
>
> I am still missing your point. From what I can tell, the only problem
> with what I posted was that I included a bunch on comments in the
> Generic Binder class post. But jeez, how does that mean that I have
> asked a question that cannot be answered.
>
> You asked for more details, I provided them. What's the problem?

I believe the point is that it may help if you show a main subroutine
that 1) creates the object, 2) serializes it, and 3) deserializes it.
One reason being is, that with the following, I don't observe what you
are asking about.

public static void Main(string [] args)
{
Attachment a = new Attachment();
BinaryFormatter bf = new BinaryFormatter();
MemoryStream ms = new MemoryStream();
bf.Serialize(ms, a);
ms.Seek(0, SeekOrigin.Begin);

Attachment b;