From: Newman on
I have just installed IPCop, along with the Advanced Proxy, and
URLFilter.

I can't seem to get the Blacklist to work on the URLFilter.

If I put an IP address in as "banned", it blocks all access. If I then
remove it, access returns.

So, I know the URLFilter add-on is in fact working, but I tried a
simple test. I added "www.facebook.com" to the blocked URL list on the
Blacklist.

This does *not* block the access from computers behind the IPCop box.

I am a total noob on both Linux, and on IPCop, so any and all help
would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
From: Dan C on
On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:02:25 -0700, Newman wrote:

> I have just installed IPCop, along with the Advanced Proxy, and
> URLFilter.
>
> I can't seem to get the Blacklist to work on the URLFilter.
>
> If I put an IP address in as "banned", it blocks all access. If I then
> remove it, access returns.
>
> So, I know the URLFilter add-on is in fact working, but I tried a simple
> test. I added "www.facebook.com" to the blocked URL list on the
> Blacklist.
>
> This does *not* block the access from computers behind the IPCop box.
>
> I am a total noob on both Linux, and on IPCop, so any and all help would
> be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks

Did you check the checkbox labeled "Enable custom blacklist"? Won't work
unless you do.

"Bother!" said Pooh, as he launched a Maverick.
From: Newman on
On 11 May 2010 01:57:30 GMT, Dan C <youmustbejoking(a)lan.invalid>
wrote:

>On Mon, 10 May 2010 13:02:25 -0700, Newman wrote:
>
>> I have just installed IPCop, along with the Advanced Proxy, and
>> URLFilter.
>>
>> I can't seem to get the Blacklist to work on the URLFilter.
>>
>> If I put an IP address in as "banned", it blocks all access. If I then
>> remove it, access returns.
>>
>> So, I know the URLFilter add-on is in fact working, but I tried a simple
>> test. I added "www.facebook.com" to the blocked URL list on the
>> Blacklist.
>>
>> This does *not* block the access from computers behind the IPCop box.
>>
>> I am a total noob on both Linux, and on IPCop, so any and all help would
>> be greatly appreciated!
>>
>> Thanks
>
>Did you check the checkbox labeled "Enable custom blacklist"? Won't work
>unless you do.

Yes, I did put a check in that box.

What I did discover though was this:

The Scheduler in Advanced Proxy, by default, allows access from Monday
to Sunday from 0:00 to 24:00. But that feature is no where near
granular enough to be useful.

So I turned my attentiuon to the Time Based Access control feature of
the URLFilter. The blacklist would *not* work unless I put in a time
based access rule to "Block" "custom- blocked" items. However, as soon
as I did, I could not get "proxy" access through IPCop.

After some consideration, what I did was add a Monday to Sunday, 0:00
to 24:00 rule to allow "proxy" for the entire sub-net.

As soon as *that* rule took effect, *then* the URLFilter worked as
expected!

I just presumed that overall access was allowed by default - which it
appeared to be! (decades of using Microsoft products... ;). But it
seems that as soon as a restrictive rule is added to the "time
restrictions", there is no such presumption of *any* access. Once such
access is explicitly defined, then all apprears to work as expected.

Once you understand this, then it is actually quite powerful because
there is no unknown or hard-coded defaults - you really do have *full*
control and can set things up *your* way (as opposed to "bill's"
way!).

I don't recall reading that in the documentation. Perhaps I missed it.