From: Norm on
Hi,
I am adding a right context menu entry, to explorer, for my program to
use. I am adding this entry to the HKCU registry so that it is
available to me and then deleting the entry when the program closes.
This is the code:

fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With FileClean",
"icon", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe"

fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With
FileClean\command", "", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe %1"

This does not work the way I expected, it shows the context menu entry
and works correctly on files, but does not show the entry when I right
click on folders.

Does this need to be written somewhere else to show a context menu for
folders or is it because I am using Windows 7 64 bit?

Thanks,
Norm

From: Norm on
Norm brought next idea :
> Hi,
> I am adding a right context menu entry, to explorer, for my program to use. I
> am adding this entry to the HKCU registry so that it is available to me and
> then deleting the entry when the program closes. This is the code:
>

> fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With FileClean", "icon",
> "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe"
>
> fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With FileClean\command",
> "", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe %1"
>
> This does not work the way I expected, it shows the context menu entry and
> works correctly on files, but does not show the entry when I right click on
> folders.
>
> Does this need to be written somewhere else to show a context menu for
> folders or is it because I am using Windows 7 64 bit?
>
> Thanks,
> Norm

Further information, rebooted into Windows 7 32 and have the same
problem. Context menu entry only shows on files not folders.

Norm

From: Bob Butler on

"Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
> I am adding a right context menu entry, to explorer, for my program to
> use. I am adding this entry to the HKCU registry so that it is available
> to me and then deleting the entry when the program closes. This is the
> code:
>

> fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With FileClean",
> "icon", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe"
>
> fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With
> FileClean\command", "", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe %1"
>
> This does not work the way I expected, it shows the context menu entry and
> works correctly on files, but does not show the entry when I right click
> on folders.
>
> Does this need to be written somewhere else to show a context menu for
> folders or is it because I am using Windows 7 64 bit?

try adding your commands under
HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell

I haven't tried it on Win7-64 but it works for me on Vista

From: Norm on
Bob Butler wrote on 5/26/2010 :
> "Norm" <NormF4(a)spoof.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hi,
>> I am adding a right context menu entry, to explorer, for my program to use.
>> I am adding this entry to the HKCU registry so that it is available to me
>> and then deleting the entry when the program closes. This is the code:
>>

>> fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With FileClean",
>> "icon", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe"
>>
>> fWriteValue "HKCU", "Software\Classes\*\shell\Erase With
>> FileClean\command", "", "S", App.Path & "\FileClean.exe %1"
>>
>> This does not work the way I expected, it shows the context menu entry and
>> works correctly on files, but does not show the entry when I right click on
>> folders.
>>
>> Does this need to be written somewhere else to show a context menu for
>> folders or is it because I am using Windows 7 64 bit?
>
> try adding your commands under
> HKCU\Software\Classes\Directory\shell
>
> I haven't tried it on Win7-64 but it works for me on Vista

Thanks Bob,

That did the trick, apparently one works for files and the Directory
one works for folders.
What I find strange is that it appeared to be working for both just a
few days ago and would not work today. I was ready to restore the OS to
a previous point thinking I must have deleted something in the registry
that I should not have deleted. ^^

Norm

From: Mayayana on
| That did the trick, apparently one works for files and the Directory
| one works for folders.
| What I find strange is that it appeared to be working for both just a
| few days ago and would not work today. I was ready to restore the OS to
| a previous point thinking I must have deleted something in the registry
| that I should not have deleted. ^^

That's normal. * for files. I'm pretty
sure that both the Folder and Directory
keys will work for folders. The Folder key
may be more dependable, but I'm not
sure. On my PC here (XP) the Open and
Explore menu items come from the Folder
key. I also use that key for something I
like to add myself: Open in New Window

But I don't remember offhand whether there
was a specific reason for choosing the Folder
key over the Directory key.