From: Martin Enke on
Dear NG,

To use an UDT as parameter in function calls, I code a typelib that contains
just this UDT. Works great in the IDE. But when I crate an installation
(Visual Installer) and install the App on a differnt PC the program doesn't
start, just nothing happens when I dblclick the icon. I found out that this
is because I did not provide an register the tlb file. From my
understanding, this should not be necessary because the information in the
typelib is only used during compile time. Am I wrong? Is there a trick I do
not know. Actually I do not want to provide the Typelib for several reasons.

Thanks for help

Martin

From: Jim Mack on
Martin Enke wrote:
> Dear NG,
>
> To use an UDT as parameter in function calls, I code a typelib that
> contains just this UDT. Works great in the IDE. But when I crate an
> installation (Visual Installer) and install the App on a differnt
> PC the program doesn't start, just nothing happens when I dblclick
> the icon. I found out that this is because I did not provide an
> register the tlb file. From my understanding, this should not be
> necessary because the information in the typelib is only used
> during compile time. Am I wrong? Is there a trick I do not know.
> Actually I do not want to provide the Typelib for several reasons.

Typelibs are not required for distribution of a compiled EXE. This is
a compiled VB6 EXE, right?

--
Jim Mack
Twisted tees at http://www.cafepress.com/2050inc

From: ralph on
On Thu, 27 May 2010 14:03:12 +0200, "Martin Enke"
<m.enke(a)enke-software.de> wrote:

>Dear NG,
>
>To use an UDT as parameter in function calls, I code a typelib that contains
>just this UDT. Works great in the IDE. But when I crate an installation
>(Visual Installer) and install the App on a differnt PC the program doesn't
>start, just nothing happens when I dblclick the icon. I found out that this
>is because I did not provide an register the tlb file. From my
>understanding, this should not be necessary because the information in the
>typelib is only used during compile time. Am I wrong? Is there a trick I do
>not know. Actually I do not want to provide the Typelib for several reasons.

You are correct a TypeLib is only used at "compile-time". They are
never needed for a running application and thus never need to be
included with any install package.

However, some Installers will pick-up a TypeLib from a Project as a
dependant component and include it as a file dependency while building
a package. In this case you need to manually remove it from the
default build script before you build the package.

It is also possible there is something else going on and the TypeLib
is only a red herring.

-ralph
From: Martin Enke on
Hi ralph & Jim,

that is exactly my problem: I cannot understand why the app needs it
during runtime and I don't understand why the app doesn't start at all
without any error message. Should it be a Visual Installer problem? I
will try to edit the package using Orca...

BR
Martin

From: Jim Mack on
Martin Enke wrote:
> Hi ralph & Jim,
>
> that is exactly my problem: I cannot understand why the app needs it
> during runtime and I don't understand why the app doesn't start at
> all without any error message. Should it be a Visual Installer
> problem? I will try to edit the package using Orca...

You don't say how you came to believe that the typelib is the problem.
Does the program work when you include it? That would make no sense,
since typelibs are not used by the EXE for anything.

You might try logging startup progress to a text file. Start in Sub
Main, and log the loading of forms etc to a log file.