From: Carlos on
Ilya,
So the right choice now is to go to your motherboard manufacturer's web site
and download the applicable VIA HD audio drivers.

You can get them also from VIA:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/support/drivers.jsp
but you need to know what specific audio chipset you have (it might be
written in your mobo's user manual).

Carlos

From: Ilya Zeldes on
Carlos,

I followed your advice. First, I downloaded VIA driver from the DELL site
and installed it (xx.7410). Nevertheless, after a couple of successful
reboots, audio was down again. Then I checked the VIA site, but driver there
was lower version xx.7300...
As of today, audio reboots fine. Will see what happens next.
Thanks for your trying to help.

From: Ilya Zeldes on
Well, guess I'm back to square one... Just rebooted and got the red x on the
Audio Service icon and message that service is not working. However, the
service is working, all sounds are fine! Moreover, checked the Services and
found that Windows Audio "Started" and runs "Automatic"... What's wrong?

Ilya

From: Carlos on
Ilya,
1.- Do you actually have sound, even with the red x thing?
2.- If not, try to unplyg your speakers and plug them again. You might have
an intermittent connection in the back connectors of your motherboard.
Carlos

From: Ilya Zeldes on

> Ilya,
> 1.- Do you actually have sound, even with the red x thing?
Yes, Carlos, this time, I have sound with the red x. But it seems to me
that in the past, there were instances of no sound with this red x.

> 2.- If not, try to unplyg your speakers and plug them again. You might
> have
> an intermittent connection in the back connectors of your motherboard.
I do not use speakers, I use a mono headphone plagued in the front. I
tried to unplug-plug it to no avail...

Ilya