From: tanix on
I am having firefox 3.5.5 and 3.5.6 freeze my box when I update
several tabs in a rapid succession on Win XP SP3.

What happens is box totally freezes. Task manager ->
Performance tab shows one of cores going up to 100% CPU time,
mouse freezes, keyboard does not work (not even ctl-alt-del)
and disk stops flashing every few seconds as it normally does
under XP.

Interestingly enough, it does not happen under Windows 7 on
the same box no matter how hard I try.

Some say it is a problem with crappy XP scheduler.
Is there anything I can do under XP to fix this issue?

Hardware:
Asus M4A78 motherboard,
Athlon 2, X4 620 CPU,
4 Gigs of DDR2 ram by Team Extreme.
Running on Windows XP SP3.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:
http://preciseinfo.org
From: Alexander Grigoriev on
I'd say it's a problem with Firefox. Send a bug to them.

From: tanix on
In article <#yIP7T5fKHA.1824(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Alexander Grigoriev" <alegr(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>I'd say it's a problem with Firefox. Send a bug to them.

Well, I did post to a forum and its been 2 days with no answer.
I am not sure you can file bugs as a user.

Secondly, what I do not like about this is that it runs fine under win 7
on the same box.

Secondly, I do not see how it could possibly lock up the entire box.
Does it have some kernel mode drivers?

This looks like a software bug. Some dead loop somewhere.
Except I don't even see how to figure out what is doing it
since the whole box is frozen.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript
From: Leo Davidson on
On Dec 18, 4:23 am, ta...(a)mongo.net (tanix) wrote:
> In article <#yIP7T5fKHA.1...(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Alexander Grigoriev" <al...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> >I'd say it's a problem with Firefox. Send a bug to them.
> I am not sure you can file bugs as a user.

Anyone can file Firefox bugs. You just have to create an account on
their bug-tracking site (which is free).
From: tanix on
In article <9941dda0-c8b2-4e85-8088-d3558ed4d4e4(a)o28g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>, Leo Davidson <leonudeldavidson(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
>On Dec 18, 4:23=A0am, ta...(a)mongo.net (tanix) wrote:
>> In article <#yIP7T5fKHA.1...(a)TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl>, "Alexander Grigoriev"=
> <al...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
>> >I'd say it's a problem with Firefox. Send a bug to them.
>> I am not sure you can file bugs as a user.

>Anyone can file Firefox bugs. You just have to create an account on
>their bug-tracking site (which is free).

Oh, Ok. I'll try to do that. Not how much luck I am going to have
cause they'd prolly consider any XP issues as low priority stuff,
seeing the amount of bugs people are talking about on their bb.

Do you happen to have a link for filing a bug report.
I am really stretched here. Every minute counts.

--
Programmer's Goldmine collections:

http://preciseinfo.org

Tens of thousands of code examples and expert discussions on
C++, MFC, VC, ATL, STL, templates, Java, Python, Javascript,
organized by major topics of language, tools, methods, techniques.