From: Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen on
Hi, I've put a new disk in my system, and divided it into 4 partition of
about 125g.
When I try to do a mk(e2)fs on ,I get the following:
root(a)duinheks:/# mke2fs /dev/sdc1
mke2fs 1.41.8 (11-July-2009)
mke2fs: inode_size (128) * inodes_count (0) too big for a
filesystem with 0 blocks, specify higher inode_ratio (-i)
or lower inode count (-N).
What's happening here and how do I solve it?
Thanks in advance for your helpful advice,

--
Regards,

Hans.
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen:

> Hi, I've put a new disk in my system, and divided it into 4 partition of
> about 125g.
> When I try to do a mk(e2)fs on ,I get the following: root(a)duinheks:/#
> mke2fs /dev/sdc1
> mke2fs 1.41.8 (11-July-2009)
> mke2fs: inode_size (128) * inodes_count (0) too big for a
> filesystem with 0 blocks, specify higher inode_ratio (-i) or
> lower inode count (-N).
> What's happening here and how do I solve it? Thanks in advance for your
> helpful advice,

A 125GB ext2 partition! Fun!

Why are you not using mkfs.ext3?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Hans on
On 07/02/2010 11:28 AM, Mike Jones wrote:
> Responding to Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen:
>
>> Hi, I've put a new disk in my system, and divided it into 4 partition of
>> about 125g.
>> When I try to do a mk(e2)fs on ,I get the following: root(a)duinheks:/#
>> mke2fs /dev/sdc1
>> mke2fs 1.41.8 (11-July-2009)
>> mke2fs: inode_size (128) * inodes_count (0) too big for a
>> filesystem with 0 blocks, specify higher inode_ratio (-i) or
>> lower inode count (-N).
>> What's happening here and how do I solve it? Thanks in advance for your
>> helpful advice,
>

> A 125GB ext2 partition! Fun!
>
> Why are you not using mkfs.ext3?

or mkfs.ext4

--
Hans
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Hans:

> On 07/02/2010 11:28 AM, Mike Jones wrote:
>> Responding to Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen:
>>
>>> Hi, I've put a new disk in my system, and divided it into 4 partition
>>> of about 125g.
>>> When I try to do a mk(e2)fs on ,I get the following: root(a)duinheks:/#
>>> mke2fs /dev/sdc1
>>> mke2fs 1.41.8 (11-July-2009)
>>> mke2fs: inode_size (128) * inodes_count (0) too big for a
>>> filesystem with 0 blocks, specify higher inode_ratio (-i) or
>>> lower inode count (-N).
>>> What's happening here and how do I solve it? Thanks in advance for
>>> your helpful advice,
>>

>> A 125GB ext2 partition! Fun!
>>
>> Why are you not using mkfs.ext3?
>>

> or mkfs.ext4

/Thats/ self explanatory. ;)

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Robert Komar on
Johannes D.H. Beekhuizen <jbeekhui(a)duinheks.nl> wrote:
> Hi, I've put a new disk in my system, and divided it into 4 partition of
> about 125g.
> When I try to do a mk(e2)fs on ,I get the following:
> root(a)duinheks:/# mke2fs /dev/sdc1
> mke2fs 1.41.8 (11-July-2009)
> mke2fs: inode_size (128) * inodes_count (0) too big for a
> filesystem with 0 blocks, specify higher inode_ratio (-i)
> or lower inode count (-N).
> What's happening here and how do I solve it?
> Thanks in advance for your helpful advice,

I've formatted larger partitions than that with ext2 and never
had a problem (I've got a 2TB one mounted right now). The
inodes_count of 0 and "filesystem with 0 blocks" is suspicious.
Are you sure that /dev/sdc1 is the correct device name and
that the partition table is correct?

Also, use "-m 1" with mke2fs to limit the reserved precentage
to 1%. The default of 5% is pretty wasteful for such large
partitions. If you're just going to store large files on
the disk, then "-T largefile" would probably help.

Cheers,
Rob Komar