From: Larry on
I have Slackware 13.1 dual-booting with Slackware 12.2 on a AMD Sempron
desktop. 12.2 is stable as a rock and has been since installed. 13.1
tends to randomly freeze up locking the cursor and keyboard. It seems
to happen mostly when a lot of screen activity is going on like a
screensaver or when loading a web page. I cannot access another virtual
console in this condition. It will run possibly a couple
of hours before happening. I suspect it is an X-server hiccup. I'm
using the proprietory Nvidia video driver, but it does the same with the
non-Nvidia driver.

My question is: What is the best way to troubleshoot a problem like
this? Any logs I should look at, or there any secret key sequences to
unlock the freeze?

I have 13.1 running on a Toshiba laptop with absolutely no problems.

Thanks,
Larry
From: Mikhail Zotov on
On Fri, 02 Jul 2010 10:21:05 -0400
Larry <lkirkland(a)sc.rr.com> wrote:
> My question is: ...
> or there any secret key sequences to unlock the freeze?

As a rule, keep Alt+SysRq pressed and press R S E I U B
making 2-3 second pauses between letters. Check the newsgroup
or google for the details of `magic Alt+SysRq'.

--
Mikhail

P.S. I had a similar problem on one of the machines running 13.1.
I didn't have time to dig into it thus just disabled xscreensaver.
This fixed the problem.

From: Larry on
Larry wrote:
> I have Slackware 13.1 dual-booting with Slackware 12.2 on a AMD Sempron
> desktop. 12.2 is stable as a rock and has been since installed. 13.1
> tends to randomly freeze up locking the cursor and keyboard. It seems
> to happen mostly when a lot of screen activity is going on like a
> screensaver or when loading a web page. I cannot access another virtual
> console in this condition. It will run possibly a couple
> of hours before happening. I suspect it is an X-server hiccup. I'm
> using the proprietory Nvidia video driver, but it does the same with the
> non-Nvidia driver.
>
> My question is: What is the best way to troubleshoot a problem like
> this? Any logs I should look at, or there any secret key sequences to
> unlock the freeze?
>
> I have 13.1 running on a Toshiba laptop with absolutely no problems.
>
> Thanks,
> Larry

I made a copy of my old 12.2 xorg.conf file and substituted it for the
one 13.1 was using and all seems to be fine. No crash in 12 hours
(knock on wood). I have not done a detailed check of the differences
between the two files, but it looks like the monitor sweep frequency
ranges are a lot different. The 12.2 file references some font paths
that don't exist in 13.1 , so that needs fixing. 12.2 loads the "glx"
module but 13.1 does not.
I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for your help.
Larry
From: Mike Jones on
Responding to Larry:

> Larry wrote:
>> I have Slackware 13.1 dual-booting with Slackware 12.2 on a AMD Sempron
>> desktop. 12.2 is stable as a rock and has been since installed. 13.1
>> tends to randomly freeze up locking the cursor and keyboard. It seems
>> to happen mostly when a lot of screen activity is going on like a
>> screensaver or when loading a web page. I cannot access another virtual
>> console in this condition. It will run possibly a couple of hours
>> before happening. I suspect it is an X-server hiccup. I'm using the
>> proprietory Nvidia video driver, but it does the same with the
>> non-Nvidia driver.
>>
>> My question is: What is the best way to troubleshoot a problem like
>> this? Any logs I should look at, or there any secret key sequences to
>> unlock the freeze?
>>
>> I have 13.1 running on a Toshiba laptop with absolutely no problems.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Larry
>
> I made a copy of my old 12.2 xorg.conf file and substituted it for the
> one 13.1 was using and all seems to be fine. No crash in 12 hours
> (knock on wood). I have not done a detailed check of the differences
> between the two files, but it looks like the monitor sweep frequency
> ranges are a lot different. The 12.2 file references some font paths
> that don't exist in 13.1 , so that needs fixing. 12.2 loads the "glx"
> module but 13.1 does not.
> I'll keep playing with it. Thanks for your help. Larry

Thats the problem with auto-setup stuff. It cannot substitute for a clue
and a decent text editor.

While I applaud the work of all the teams that constantly work to improve
Linux in all it's forms, I wish some of them would remember to leave the
manual setup options in place.

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.
From: Aaron W. Hsu on
Larry <lkirkland(a)sc.rr.com> writes:

>I have Slackware 13.1 dual-booting with Slackware 12.2 on a AMD Sempron
>desktop. 12.2 is stable as a rock and has been since installed. 13.1
>tends to randomly freeze up locking the cursor and keyboard. It seems
>to happen mostly when a lot of screen activity is going on like a
>screensaver or when loading a web page. I cannot access another virtual
>console in this condition. It will run possibly a couple
>of hours before happening. I suspect it is an X-server hiccup. I'm
>using the proprietory Nvidia video driver, but it does the same with the
>non-Nvidia driver.

>My question is: What is the best way to troubleshoot a problem like
>this? Any logs I should look at, or there any secret key sequences to
>unlock the freeze?

I can't really say if this is a problem that you are encountering, and
I'm not sure that you will want to do this, but I had a problem running
the mwm window manager that is part of OpenMotif, and I was lucky enough
to stumble upon this:

http://my.opera.com/arcfide/blog/2010/07/04/motif-and-slackware-13-1

That's just my blog post which summarizes the problem. Maybe it can help
you.

Aaron W. Hsu
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2